Ignorant young racers...is there any hope?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Re: Ignorant young racers...is there any hope?

Post by chevyfreak »

Nefario wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm
chevyfreak wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm I work on the bigger forklifts and the container handling machines.
Just curious, what brand? I work with special applications of similar machines that are usually made in Nijmegen :D . And we can't find mechanics either.
Well you got the brand. :D . Yes. Its the hyster machines.
I work on forklifts 10ton up to 48ton and then the ec and reach stackers.
Big truck technicians is a problem. Many techs seem scared of the big machines and some not fond of heights.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

GARY C wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:03 am
Dave Koehler wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:57 pm Need to understand the modern street 7-9 sec owners?
Eh, I will just leave this here.
Go to 11:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wYM7Me09zA
No different then when we were growing up all believing we had 400 HP small blocks... I still know a cpl of guys that haven't had a muscle car since the late 80's and still think their old car (220 hp) would out run most things today.
Exactly. That was my point. :D :D Same story different generation. The majority have never seen a track.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Orr89rocz wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:57 pm Need to understand the modern street 7-9 sec owners?
Not sure what that was suppose to imply or what meaning that has for this topic. Sorry i struck your nerve. You say you been doing this a long time and dont believe. Sounds like you just dont have experience with the ultra high power stuff. No reason to talk down to those that do

We are guys who started with 12-13 sec cars and worked up. I owned mine since 2003. I learned alot and it shows on the strip. Still got alot to learn.
I simply responded to your post where you said your young friends but now it is We and I.
I unknowingly asked you for proof, not them.
My apologies.
If you have a daily driver that can run that quick I am suitably impressed.
It is a rare thing.
You should enter drag week.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Dave Koehler wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:04 am
Orr89rocz wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 pm
Not sure what that was suppose to imply or what meaning that has for this topic. Sorry i struck your nerve. You say you been doing this a long time and dont believe. Sounds like you just dont have experience with the ultra high power stuff. No reason to talk down to those that do

We are guys who started with 12-13 sec cars and worked up. I owned mine since 2003. I learned alot and it shows on the strip. Still got alot to learn.
I simply responded to your post where you said your young friends but now it is We and I.
I unknowingly asked you for proof, not them.
My apologies.
If you have a daily driver that can run that quick I am suitably impressed.
It is a rare thing.
You should enter drag week.
By no means is it a daily but i do drive on good days as much as i can. It was never meant to be a pure drag car, but i got a dozen 8 sec slips and most passes on video on my YouTube channels. Never trailered to my track tho, always driven in. But I’m only 20 min away
My friends mustang won superstreet big block power adder 2 yrs ago with a 7.86 average. he sold it to another local friend and he would have won last yr but he melted the trans on the brake. Bbc nitrous deal
I dont plan on doin a drag week, i dont have the desire and time nor the money
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

GARY C wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:03 am
No different then when we were growing up all believing we had 400 HP small blocks... I still know a cpl of guys that haven't had a muscle car since the late 80's and still think their old car (220 hp) would out run most things today.
I did a L98 89 camaro refresh for a local guy at my friends shop, since i am one of the only guys around that can burn chips and tune these things. Basically rebuilt the motor reusing stock internals but new pistons. Threw in a small 212/218 or 218/224 comp hyd roller i am not sure what the spec was. Reused stock tpi. Built dual exhaust. No muffler he didnt want any...made 226 whp. He goes around telling everyone it makes 400. That thing be lucky to go high 13’s
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

I once witnessed a group of stoners trying to push start a slant 6 Duster. It was an automatic, the driver was cranking it over on the starter and pumping the gas like a madman as they crawled along at 2 mph. I intervened, pulled the breather cover, held the throttle open and it managed to gurgle to life. They thought I was some sort of God. This was 1977.
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

modok wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 pm before I was 20 i figured how to drive a car with any possible malfunction

without using the clutch - '69 GTO clutch pivot snapped (cheap white metal) - drove home 20 miles (at least 10 traffic lights) RPM matching shifts, never once had to push start it after initial push
stuck in one gear - too many failed auto's to count, been lucky with std's so far
no starter, no battery - all goes back to push starting - was relatively common for us poor folk in the 70's (I recall auto's with rear pumps that allowed push start, never had one tho)
no fuel pump - no.
no brakes - T-bucket brakes failed going down hill, E-brake also didn't work. Me one lucky bastard is all I can say. Drove it home 5 miles of urban traffic with no brakes.
missing a wheel - had one snap off at 60 MPH in my GTO. Fun. Friggin car snapped axles for breakfast - always fun when the axle slides out on a busy city street
no engine (coasting) - nbd

And later, how to drive if the steering wheel falls off, which turns out isn't far, just however long it takes to stop.... but you get better at everything with practice. :shock:

But m I a good driver? probably not. It's a different kind of skill.
In addition to the above, I had a rear control arm snap in half in the T-Bucket. Couldn't figure out why the rear would pivot 1 foot one way on the gas, 1 foot the other when I let off. Good thing I came to my senses and pulled over before the poorly designed control arm on the other side of the car decided to snap. If anybody remembers Chick Brignolo who wrote a column called "Chick's tricks" back in the 70's in (I think) Hot Rod magazine, he was so embarrassed that the chromoly arms snapped due to work hardening.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

MotionMachine wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:57 am I once witnessed a group of stoners trying to push start a slant 6 Duster. It was an automatic, the driver was cranking it over on the starter and pumping the gas like a madman as they crawled along at 2 mph. I intervened, pulled the breather cover, held the throttle open and it managed to gurgle to life. They thought I was some sort of God. This was 1977.
Far Out, Bitchin, Boss, Right On and Solid!
I think that about covers that period in time. :wink: :D
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I get the impression from some of you that if you're car doesn't run 9's ,you don't know squat... :wink:
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Since being in the business for more than just a few years there is no end of stories I witnessed concerning fast cars, high hp numbers etc.

A guy I worked with asked everyone who was about to put an engine on our dyno what they thought it would make. His standard response was, “Let’s put her on the lie detector!”

For me it’s a real treat to find someone who is starting out who has a real desire to learn and make his car run instead of his mouth.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Truckedup wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm I get the impression from some of you that if you're car doesn't run 9's ,you don't know squat... :wink:
This is speedtalk, isn't it? Lol :wink:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

makin chips wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 pm
Truckedup wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm I get the impression from some of you that if you're car doesn't run 9's ,you don't know squat... :wink:
I always ran 1/8th mile so I never thought about my 1/4 mile times but looking back on old builds and time slips made me realize that 9's are not anything new.

I think all the interweb hype of easy bolt on power has made this seem like something very few people have ever achieved or that achieving it some how puts you in a small group consisting of a hand full of people.

Building a 9 second car today is simply a matter of ordering the correct parts from Jegs, Summit or Ebay... This was not the case in the mid 90's when there was very little interweb info or bolt on parts to do so.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Well, to me, a bike guy, cars are overweight power wasters ...and many rely on so much automated crap the driver is just there to hold the steering wheel.. :D .....But seriously speed is speed...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Truckedup wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:35 am
Well, to me, a bike guy, cars are overweight power wasters ...and many rely on so much automated crap the driver is just there to hold the steering wheel.. :D .....But seriously speed is speed...
So how do you draw the conclusion of you ET vs someone that can match it with a 3000+ pound vehicle that can carry friends, family and cargo?

In reverse analogy one could conclude your mode of transportation completely useless for ones everyday life. I am not a truck guy but with out one I would be out of work and homeless and after getting hit last week thankfully I have 2 trucks.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

GARY C wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:59 am
Truckedup wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:35 am

So how do you draw the conclusion of you ET vs someone that can match it with a 3000+ pound vehicle that can carry friends, family and cargo?

In reverse analogy one could conclude your mode of transportation completely useless for ones everyday life. I am not a truck guy but with out one I would be out of work and homeless and after getting hit last week thankfully I have 2 trucks.
Bikes are toys like a hot rod muscle car or sports car...My bike, a slow for a bike high 11's in the 1/4, can carry me around getting 45 mpg and taking up very little space...I also have trucks and in the past had a few high power cars
Bikes are a whole different thing than cars..Requiring a different set of skills..There is no comparison to launching a wheelie prone bike to any automobile of equal speed..