Dodge 5.7 Hemi hyd. roller lifter and cam issues?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Dodge 5.7 Hemi hyd. roller lifter and cam issues?

Post by 427dart »

Before I purchased a new 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi Express truck back in Dec. 2013 I had no idea of the issues with roller lifter and cam failures that were going on with higher milage trucks before 2013.
From what I read seems to be mostly one lifter that can go bad causing cam lobe failure and usually after 70,000 miles.
Now I only have 26,000 miles so far and all seems OK but would you swap out the factory lifters now with a premium Johnson hyd. roller lifters before
more miles racked up or just take your chances?
If you have a dealer repair the cam and lifters it is big bucks. But the better aftermarket lifters are $750 a set and doing the job at home doesn't look to bad a deal.
Any of you know of recent updates on this issue concerning 2014 and later Ram trucks with 5.7 Hemi?
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: Dodge 5.7 Hemi hyd. roller lifter and cam issues?

Post by BillK »

I would be more concerned with using the best oil and filter you can buy that meets the factory specs. Really does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to the failures. We have had very good luck with the Eloy lifters from SBI There are plenty of those engines out there that have not had a problem so I don't know if I would do anything as a preventive measure.

Personally I think part of the issue is the design. The lifters are the last thing in the valve train to get oil. Completely opposite from most engines.

I will say this, if you hear even the slightest tapping noise or start getting misfire codes, get it fixed.

I have a guy that helps me part time and he has a little niche deal going working on those things so I have gotten pretty familiar with them. Have two of them in the shop right now.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

You have to pull the heads to replace the lifters iirc.

Most of the "Hemi tick" issues went away with the 2009 engines.

I have four of those in my shop. One with a flat cam, one with a rod out the block and one that's ok... all pre-2009.

I also have a 2014 with a scuffed piston (the car laid on its side after a crash).

Using the correct oil is important.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

I have a 2018 5.7 express truck, and mine is seeing a lot of highway miles for work and etc- most of the year. I have to admit I agree with the post about using good oil and filter- perhaps correct viscosity as well??. One thing that I have not agreed with is the Loooonnngg service interval if u use the oil change light.... many makes have gone to this - and I feel it doesn’t help——.
I have been using valvoline full synthetic and only running about 4000 miles or about 60% of the oil change indicator- right or wrong that has been my procedure. I love the truck!-J
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I stay on top of the oil changes and use the Valvoline 5w20 synthetic and good Purolator filters.
Being retired I don't run up a lot of miles between oil changes more like 3000 miles max at every 6 months oil change.

Hyd. rollers have been in OEM use for 34 years now and should be very sorted out by now. Unless there was faulty materials used in the rollers
or lack of oil changes there should minimal issues with today's engines.

Regarding the 5.7 Hemi....is the deck that short you need to pull heads to get lifters out?
Thought that was a Ford thing with the 8.5 deck 302's On my 351W no need to pull heads.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Like the LS, the deck is closed. No holes for lifter removal. I'm certain there was some reason for that "feature". But, I don't know it.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

427dart wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:15 am seems to be mostly one lifter that can go bad causing cam lobe failure
Are you sure about that?
Could it be the lobe wearing first, and that's taking out the lifter ?
What's failing on the lifter?
Is there a weird pushrod angle on the lifter that normally goes? that could cause abnormal wear on the lobe, and when the lobe wears, it can cause the needle bearing on the roller follower to fail.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:25 am
Could it be the lobe wearing first, and that's taking out the lifter ?
What's failing on the lifter?
Is there a weird pushrod angle on the lifter that normally goes? that could cause abnormal wear on the lobe, and when the lobe wears, it can cause the needle bearing on the roller follower to fail.
Mike,
I think it could be either or. Usually once the failure occurs its hard to tell. It typically is only one lobe. Not sure if you have seen one of these things or not. The pushrods are almost horizontal in the engine. The oil goes up through the head into the rocker shafts then into the rockers and down through the pushrods to the lifters.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

just looked at one with the valve cover off. Some but very little push rod angle (from front to rear of engine). Much less than some paired runner engines live happily with.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

could be an oiling issue to that lifter ?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Pictures I have seen show the bad lifter with a flat worn on roller and the lobe is worn down leaving a sharp shoulder on both sides.
Looks like maybe the roller bearing failed?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I had one fail in my wife's 2005. I found an oiling issue. Under the rocker shaft bolts there are these little washers with fingers that hold the clamps on the bolts. On 2 of the clamps the fingers were bent out and pinched between the clamp and shaft and it must have been bleeding pressure there.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

427dart wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:11 pm Pictures I have seen show the bad lifter with a flat worn on roller and the lobe is worn down leaving a sharp shoulder on both sides.
Looks like maybe the roller bearing failed?
That would make me check the oiling to that lifter. Those stock lobe profiles are pretty gentle, and there's not a lot of spring pressure.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

The oiling to them is terrible. I'm not sure what Dodge's logic was behind that. Wouldn't it be better to oil through the pushrod? Mine with the new lifters rattled for 15mins in the garage or more. I thought something was wrong, but my father who is a ford mechanic said its ok, take it for an easy drive. drove around the block and back...no more lifter noise. To me the system they have would be like trying to bleed a brake caliper on upside-down.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

cgarb wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:22 pm The oiling to them is terrible. I'm not sure what Dodge's logic was behind that. Wouldn't it be better to oil through the pushrod? Mine with the new lifters rattled for 15mins in the garage or more. I thought something was wrong, but my father who is a ford mechanic said its ok, take it for an easy drive. drove around the block and back...no more lifter noise. To me the system they have would be like trying to bleed a brake caliper on upside-down.
Reverse-feeding the lifter worked on the Leaning Tower of Power. Mother Mopar didn't want to revise the oiling system when the Slant Six went to hydraulic lifters, so they pressurized the rocker shaft, and fed oil to the lifters via the pushrod.

Some habits are hard to break.