LIFE SUCKS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Trev

LIFE SUCKS

Post by Trev »

Wowwwwwwwwww
Alloy heads, big valves, big springs, spend heaps on port work and bowl work etc

5000 dollars later

Heads wont do any better the 580 Hp

Then the head guy whos doing the port work says

You should have bought this other brand

Im getting 700 hp out of them

Ok how much for those ones

Oh they are 5000 dollars

10000 DOLLARS LATER

THAT REALLY SHITS ME TO TEARS
Gary 540
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary 540 »

Same thing happened to me Trev, but on a BB Chev set of heads.
After that I sold em cheap and bought a set of cnc'd heads.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

Trev, the COME heads aren't the greatest, but they should move more air than that. A set of cast iron VN-VS heads will flow better numbers than that. Most sets I have seen have been later sold off to buy a set of YT Dash 9's , but they ran decent numbers with them before off loading them. What made you decide to run with the COME heads over the Yella Terra heads?
AL...

Post by Guest »

what E/T's were you planning or hoping for?

yes, unfortunately the iron heads work well
Trev

HI LA 360 and Time Warden

Post by Trev »

Well I went with the ???? ALLOYS cause of all the sales talk and so called already achieved figures from the ??? AT ????

Over the last 4 weeks I have been spending a ridiculous amount of money getting everything ready for a serious attempt and Im hoping a mid to low nines. You know big rods pistons roller cam massive ignition system and all the other crap

So I finally rang Eddie at the Head stud and he couldnt tell me exactly what he could get out of the ???? alloys as he hasnt taken a set all the way.
So I talked with Nathan Higgins and he said i could see 580 maybe 600 max from them
Then he says ( wait for it ), I get 680 for sure and most likely 700 with the yella terras, much better head the yella terras.

So now i look at all the money i have siiting in the spare room in expensive parts and realise my dream isnt going to happen with out yella terras.

So now i am being extra extra special and caring to the wife
Lmfao
Trev

OH ONE OTHER THING

Post by Trev »

ANYONE wanna buy a great set of COME alloy heads

Excellent condition

hahahhahahaha

im crying now
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

The last set of COME heads a friend of mine did flowed in the 620-640HP range, and made around 630hp conservatively with 12.7:1 and a decent Roller in a 383hp , One of the heads sprunk a leak after 2 or 3 pulls, hence the lowish numbers. If i remember, I could find out what they flowed exactly
AL...
Trev

Al

Post by Trev »

Do you know who did the work on em
Fatman
Guru
Guru
Holden Alloy heads

Post by Fatman »

Trev

580 Hp sounds about right for a good effort out of COMEs first alloy heads.

Did you notice any difference (besides combustion chambers) between the come heads and factory iron VN heads. I've heard that they used the original holden patterns. Looked the same to me. Whether they changed the water jacketing and created thicker ports to allow porters to do their stuff i don't know. Their new heads look to have a lot more potential but i would still rather go the YT head.

I'd regard anything above 560 hp as quite respectable from the factory iron heads, provided they were good through the range. I've seen quite a few "pro" jobs flow a lot less than that.

LA360
The COME heads that you mentioned, were they the new design or the ones that Trev has?

Cheers
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-You guys are all young, you'll eventually get over it.
-This is called "real Life" experiences and eventually becomes history.
-But this is one of the reasons why your hairline recedes so far.
-Being nice to the wife is a very good gesture though.
BRENT FAY

Post by BRENT FAY »

Bill jones is right. As a customer told me several times when we would encounter complications on his race stuff " if it has tits or tires you are always going to have problems!" [ charles taylor ] Pretty much says it all. Brent
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

To be honest, I could not be sure if they were early or late castings, I honestly did not know that there were early or late castings. I would have to check that out
AL...

Post by Guest »

The original concept of the C.O.M.E. alloy head was a high velocity performance head, it has extra metal in certain areas for extra porting but as for flatout 700 HP drag race head as you have found out it's not going to happen, what you do from here is up to you but I would use them, head flow is one thing & there are other areas to take into consideration in regards to volumetric efficiency & the rest of the car in setup
pontiacman

Post by pontiacman »

Hi I am wondering what you guys are talking about? what is this "come" thing? and what or why cant you get anymore hp out of them than that? I realize that they must be a small port high velocity head but with the right camming you should be able to make hp, unless you are only able to get 240-250cfm out of them? Coming from the pontiac world I know all about small ports but we still are getting 700+ hp out of these heads even if it is in the 6000-7000rpm range.
Trev

HEADS

Post by Trev »

COME stands for CHEV OFFROAD and MARINE ENGINEERING.

They manufacture stroker kits and alloy heads and inlet manifolds etc for Holden engines (chev small block clones).

I bought their alloy heads after hearing all the great things they have achieved with em. Only to find out that they arent as good as another manufacturers alloy head

But while we are talking about this stuff, one question for all the head gurus on here

Ive been told u cant get anymore than 580 hp from the COME head and the Yella Terra will go 700 HP
From my dumb ass perspective the yella terra is obviously the only way to go

Oh and Bill
Being extra nice to the wife didnt work
She worked out something was wrong with the car and asked me how much
then said no lol
but dont worry dinner and flowers for a week and i will have the yella terras