What is the best computer dyno?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bc
Pro
Pro
What is the best computer dyno?

Post by bc »

What is or who makes the best computer dyno for simulating an engines performance? Or is there really an goods ones out there that can predict what an engine might make for hp? Right now I have 2 different ones, Dyno Sim and EA Performance Analyzer.
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: What is the best computer dyno?

Post by Darin Morgan »

bc wrote:What is or who makes the best computer dyno for simulating an engines performance? Or is there really an goods ones out there that can predict what an engine might make for hp? Right now I have 2 different ones, Dyno Sim and EA Performance Analyzer.
I personally prefer the EA performance Analyzer.
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

I also use the engine analyzer pro from performance trends. It seems to be pretty good at showing trends. Some of the graphs you can generate with it are pretty cool. Gives you a great understanding of what different changes do to cylinder filling and pressures at different rpms.
Hey, Darin
how do you find it to be as far as accuracy with the stuff you guys do?I realize that you have to use the "gigo" method when utilizing it, but some numbers i get are dead on and other will definaltly vary as far as output goes.
Shawn
bc
Pro
Pro
Post by bc »

Im assuming that you guys are using the Pro version? I just have the standard version right now. How big of a difference is there between the 2?
PFM
Pro
Pro

Post by PFM »

BC,

The difference between the PRO and non is large. To make good use of the PRO you need a good pile of data. The GIGO mentioned above is very real. If you can get a base motor into the software and get the real dyno numbers close the changes will also be close. You NEED a good set of flow numbers including .050 lift, freaks out if you go say from .2 up.

Larry has some software and more to come should be good.

PFM
Gary 540
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary 540 »

Dynomation has just released its latest version also.
I use E.A. Pro. ( very good )
Overstates detonation in all the engines I build, but apart from that great.
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Gary 540 wrote:Dynomation has just released its latest version also.
I use E.A. Pro. ( very good )
Overstates detonation in all the engines I build, but apart from that great.
LOL me too.... It seems to think everything will detonate.

Been using EA Pro since V1

I agree that the gap between the standard version and PRO is huge, and GIGO applies royaly with this one.

I've had a whole dyno curve accurate to 1% when it's done right, most times you guess somethings are better than you actually have so you have to adjust.

Bret
Artsi_L

Post by Artsi_L »

Hello

I am a newbie in using EA Pro. I must say the usermanual is very thorough, and leaves very little to hope for. However I did search for a usergroup forum of this analyzer program. Such board did not seem to exist.

I posted idea of founding a user group forum on few selected automotive forums, and received encouraging feedback. This resulted me setting up a forum for common good for anyone who is running this software.
Forum is still in it's infancy, number of threads is quite low.

Please swing by and register. Let's stir up some conversation on that forum.

http://www.createphpbb.com/phpbb/enginemodelling.html

Thank you.

- Artsi
340Cuda

Post by 340Cuda »

Gary 540 wrote:Dynomation has just released its latest version also.
Does anyone here have any experience with the new Dynomation?
Thanks,
Bill
hbps1978

Post by hbps1978 »

I use the EA, it is the best computer engine dyno I have ever used. I still have the older version but am going to try to update in the near future. Ditto to the above, only thing I haven't liked is the fact that everything you build has a detonation problem. Good Luck
Performance is my passion
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Another vote for EA-pro. Initial attraction was it allows a flow-curve to be entered, not just flow at one lift. The "see engine" feature where the pressures/velocities can be compared take in allot of the first dynomation program, as a bonus.

Not a complaint, but just something that seems a little odd is how it asks for "average port diameter", but not a minimum.
rh cycle

Post by rh cycle »

I had started working with this program when it was a dos version and there was problems showing up like when it seen to high of ex velocitys.i have duplicated hp numbers with in 2% of actual on single cylinder engines for motor cycles .i have sugested to Kevin the desighner that he makes a provision for port type based on its angle vs the valve stem in future up grades .
Bad95Gts
Pro
Pro
Post by Bad95Gts »

What kind of luck have any of you had using this software too model Superstock type engines?

I will also add that the Dynomotion stuff combines Audie technologies older Dos program and Racing sims stuff and it will be able too take a cam doctor file.
Audie feels it is very good and competitive with most of the stuff out there.
My copy will be here soon.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

I use EA Pro, does a good job but like others mentioned here it has serious issues when it comes to the port (not VC) speeds you can actually use in high flow coeff.,fairly straight ports... Also,the minimum areas for same ports (and the tuning it gives) in relation to the valve size/curtain area are off by quite a bit. So accurate high-end tuning (na 180+ hp/litre...talk RR motorcycles) in the Pro is not easy... This is also part of the reason turbo spool is too abrupt in the Pro,I made Kevin add the ball-bearing feature to help it but low-rpm spool is still WAY off,most likely this is because the ports have smaller minimum CSA's and can handle bigger velocities than it now works with,which would improve low rpm VE and kick the turbo into action sooner/more smoothly.

Also lacks in detail from what I'd like, (anyone else that would like to do 30,40 or 60 instead of 20 calc points for smoother curves to see trends over a full 14 000 rpm range? if so,let Kevin know... ) but,as Kevin says,it's more important to get the math correct...Like with current EAPro V3.3's exhaust tuning... :roll: ...even the best make mistakes. :)

Knock index for 98RON (US rating 92.5) pump gas which has proven exact over and over again is 2. At 2.2 I've had un-audible,but data logged, knock in the dyno on both boosted and un-boosted 4-valve pent roof heads..