Front alignment changes

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
Front alignment changes

Post by econo racer »

I went from sbc to bbc and have noticed that my front tires are riding more on the outside edge-I guess its because of the extra weight-The front suspension is all tight. If I add a small shim- equal amount on the upper control arms would that help any? I only plan on leaving the bbc in just until I fix my sbc. I am going to write down the thicknesses of the spacers so I can pull them back out soon!
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

The design of the front suspension dictates whether removing or adding a shim will move the camber in the intended direction.

If you only change the camber the toe must be reset as well.

A better solution would be to bring the front ride height back to where it was with the old motor and leave the alignment alone.
econo racer
Expert
Expert
Post by econo racer »

Thanks Masher for answering my dumb question :D I see that this is one thing that a professional can only do-I will take the car to a good front end alignment place. The car is crawdading going down the track-It is so bad only running 97 mph 1/8th that I do not think it is safe to run as is. It is actualy chewing up the outside of my tires. I would not be surprised if I pickup an honest tenth with the alignment :D
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

No dumb question, you saw a problem and made a attempt to find a solution.

For about $ 130 you can buy a magentic caster / camber gauge from one of the oval track parts places and do your own alignments. The toe can be set with a couple of bars set against the tires and a tape measure.

I set up my sports car road race and oval track cars using this equipment.