Pavement Late Model Caster Recomendation

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Racer Roy

Pavement Late Model Caster Recomendation

Post by Racer Roy »

Good morning, everyone;
I just added power steering to my pavement late model and I am looking for suggestions for a good starting point for caster.
It was set at 1 positive on the LF, and 2 degrees positive on the RF.
Am I correct in thinking if I increase the caster some it will provide better feedback and stability?
The car, which has a Camaro clip, does handle pretty well, but I would like to take advantage of the power assist if it will make an improvement.
Thanks for the suggestons, if more info would be helpful, just ask.

RR
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

RR there is no set rule about caster. You use a left /right split to make the driver more comfortable getting in the corner mostly. This can vary from a one degree split like you had to a two degree split and it can run up to 4 and 6 on a tight cornered track. 2 and 4 is probably the most used for a half mile on a standard steering, so you must not have a problem overpowering the wheel getting in. This really makes the car feel like it sets it's self when you have enough, This is just driver comfort, but there is a side effect. Depending on your king pin inclination it can be a way of correcting push or lose situation to a point. When you turn to the inside of the track it will take weight off the right front and add it to the left front, and when you have an over steer situation and turn to the wall it adds weight to the right front and takes it from the left. This if just right is a self weight adjuster to correct either push or lose conditions to a point. as you probably know already you lighten the sprung weight on the out side tire or increase the weight on the inside of the end that is sliding to the wall. It's something you can play with. Now if you don't think that it can change weight try a right and left turn the next time you scale the car. The more positive caster you have the more weight it will transfer. I hope I haven't confused you. You have probably noticed a guy out there sawing the wheel. He may not know it but he is using this to juggle traction and turning. This is a sign you don't have a neutral balanced car at the time the sawing is going on.
Older I get the less I know for sure
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

Bubstr wrote:RR there is no set rule about caster. You use a left /right split to make the driver more comfortable getting in the corner mostly. This can vary from a one degree split like you had to a two degree split and it can run up to 4 and 6 on a tight cornered track. 2 and 4 is probably the most used for a half mile on a standard steering, so you must not have a problem overpowering the wheel getting in. This really makes the car feel like it sets it's self when you have enough, This is just driver comfort, but there is a side effect. Depending on your king pin inclination it can be a way of correcting push or lose situation to a point. When you turn to the inside of the track it will take weight off the right front and add it to the left front, and when you have an over steer situation and turn to the wall it adds weight to the right front and takes it from the left. This if just right, is a self weight adjuster to correct either push or lose conditions to a point. as you probably know already you lighten the sprung weight on the out side tire or increase the weight on the inside of the end that is sliding to the wall. It's something you can play with. Now if you don't think that it can change weight try a right and left turn the next time you scale the car. The more positive caster you have the more weight it will transfer. I hope I haven't confused you. You have probably noticed a guy out there sawing the wheel. He may not know it but he is using this to juggle traction and turning. This is a sign you don't have a neutral balanced car at the time the sawing is going on.
Older I get the less I know for sure
Racer Roy

Post by Racer Roy »

Bubstr:
I am learning about the dynamic effects that the front alignment has on the car in the corners, and what can be changed to tune a car for a particular situation.
Thanks for the input.

RR