Roll cage design

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

la360
Expert
Expert

Roll cage design

Post by la360 »

I have noticed some different designs at the track, and have often wondered the benefits of these designs. An example being, and please excuse me if I have my terminolgy incorrect, Rather than using a once piece front bar (The bar that is welded to the main hoop, and follows the basic shape or the front roor frame to the floor), with a bar welded at the top in the center to join them, I have seen a design where the roof portion is bent from one bar, and then a bar each side to the floor. Most cases I have seen this a tube is welded in to gusset the join.

Any pics, thoughts and or suggestions appreciated
AL...
Team Owner

Post by Team Owner »

What type of racecar are you talking about and why are you asking?

Are you planning on building your own racecar and need some pointers or are you just wondering why they did it that way?

I guess you question is why do people put the bars in different locations?
The answer is because everyone has a different idea on what works and what is safe.

Nascar mandates that the bars be put in a certain location and that the halo bar - the one above the head is in a certain location. Door bars and dash bars - including the Earnhardt bar and the Petty bar are always in the same place. No matter if it is a Ford, Chevy , Dodge.

The hoops around the engine is just the opposite in a dirt car. Some guys brace them and some guys run just the mininum to keep the chassis from bending in a crash.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Roll cage design

Post by SupStk »

la360 wrote:I have noticed some different designs at the track, and have often wondered the benefits of these designs. An example being, and please excuse me if I have my terminolgy incorrect, Rather than using a once piece front bar (The bar that is welded to the main hoop, and follows the basic shape or the front roor frame to the floor), with a bar welded at the top in the center to join them, I have seen a design where the roof portion is bent from one bar, and then a bar each side to the floor. Most cases I have seen this a tube is welded in to gusset the join.

Any pics, thoughts and or suggestions appreciated
AL...
When I built my drag car with Chrome moly, used a halo style bar for two reasons. First I had an out of state shop bend the tubing since no one locally had 1 5/8 dies. It was easier to supply dimensions. For the front downlegs I specified a single certain degree bend. The second reason was it was easier to get a 360 weld on the front tubes without the area of weld being so close to the headliner and windsheild.

I don't have a digital camera but maybe I can get someone to shoot some pics and post them for me.