four link a big rig

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

impulse

four link a big rig

Post by impulse »

My friends and I drag race a 1969 Kenworth, we had a best time of 14.68,and a best speed of 98mph. The engine is a 3406b cat engine running diesel,and Menthanol/water. We will be putting nos in the mix this spring. My question is, does anyone have a four link system for our truck? The truck is about 7500lbs wet. We are making about 1400hp. We think we will be closer to 2000hp this spring. Anyone out there able to help? :idea:
melsie68
Pro
Pro

Post by melsie68 »

Call Quartermax/RJ Race Cars and see what they might have to offer. They make some pretty heavy duty stuff for pro-mods and pro-stock vehicles. I doubt they have anything designed for your vehicle but then again, who would? :roll:

www.rjracecars.com
1968 Camaro, tagged, insured
pump gas LS stroker 404cid
th400, 3.89 gear, drag radial, footbrake
10.110 @ 133.49, 1.455 60'

“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” -E. Hemingway
bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

Check out the monster trucks they all have 4 link, front and rear.
Seen the hiem rod ends they use their huge.
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

I assume you're spinning the right rear, a spool is not available, and you don't want to weld up the spiders. It's pretty certain that you'll have to fab something. The 4link kits are, in my opinion, barely capable of use in a car less than half the weight of your truck. I would suggest a 4BAR, rather than a 4LINK. And, you'd be using material more like sewer pipe than thinwall tubing. You might profit from looking at the setup suggestions at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

How about fabricating a ladder bar set up?

should be good for a drag truck.

are you using an eaton "no spin" rear (detroit locker)?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
impulse

four link a big rig

Post by impulse »

Well, we did a link that will work for our truck, as well we do use a locker rear end. we were plesantly suprised how easy it was once we got at it..
camarokid

Post by camarokid »

Try fab.ing one up your self if u have the tools and im sure u do cuz u race. just get like 1/4, or 1/2 flat stock or sheet its heavy as all get out but then again if u have a big truck like that u need it.and if u do end up making one yourself used huge solid bars roughly 3 or 4 in.
$Tyler$
Im only 13 but i know more than alot of adults i know! belive me!!!!
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Need much more inforation about yout truck other than it is a big rig with a Cat for power. That is a lot of power for a 3406 in any confuguration. I forget if you said 3406 or 3508 but it is just two cylinders differnt and a V-8 vs a I-6.

I have not seen any bigger trucks that did not have an air-locker on them from the factory.

By you question we have no idea at all of what kind of rear suspension your truck has? Or if it is single axle, or tandem axles on it.

The factories did use some very heavy link bars on some of their suspensions and a whole bunch of diffferent styles of rear suspensions. For what you are doing I think I would favor the Peterbild Leaf-air suspension. The Hendrickson Walking Beam would be too stiff.

If possible take some pics and mail to me and possibly I can come up with something. The way that some of the factory truck suspesions were built, like for example the Pete leaf-ar it will dig the tires in when torque hits it. I am thinking of some possible modifications for several different types of truck rear suspensions as I am writing this. Possibly the KW is using one of the Hendrixson suspensions on it.
Ed
edvancedengines@hotmail.com