Setup software for late model. Experiences?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

trmiv
Setup software for late model. Experiences?

Post by trmiv »

Does anyone have experience with the various chassis setup software? I've been thinking about giving some a try, but with the prices of most of the software I've been hesitant to purchase something. I can't find many reviews or people who've had experience with any of the software online.

I've seen a few different types, Front Suspension Geometry Pro, Rear Suspension Geometry, and Tire Temp Analyzer from Autoware. Roll Center Calculator v2.0, Circle Track Analyzer v3.5, and Suspension Analyzer v1.1 from Performance Trends. I also found the Bob Bolles Chassis R&D setup software, which looks very nice from the screenshots. They also offer front end geometry software.

Anyone have any experience with any of these programs? This is for a stock-stub big spring late model.
Mark Workman
Pro
Pro

Post by Mark Workman »

I've used all of them you mentioned(and more), except the Tire Temp analyzer. They all bring something different(and useful) to the table. I started with P.T's Roll Center Calculator. Cheap, easy to use, and I find myself going back to it again and again, due to the database I've built with it. I never have been able to relate C.T.A. to my real-world experience, so I have not used it that much. It is fun to play with, though. Suspension Analyzer is very powerful, sometimes to the point of overwhelming. I acquired a 32 channel Datamite that interfaces nicely with it. In the future, it will be very useful as the fog lifts somewhat. Performance Trends has top notch stuff, and the best support.

John Block's Autoware Suspension Programs are useful in that they give you a good look at camber curves, and if you know what you want the tires to be doing, will show you how. Good support, and he gives on-line data acquisition(and suspension) seminars(for a reasonable fee). But my Performance Trends Engine Analyzer Pro program would not coexist on the same PC with the Autoware stuff(horrible crashes). Kevin @ PT was familiar with the situation, and nailed it right away. I ended up putting the Autoware on a different PC.

The Chassis R&D program(and Bolles' articles) led me to look at setup in a whole new way, and for that, it was worth the money(I bought both versions). Whether you like his bluster or not, I beleive the "separate ends" concept is valid. However, with the software, if you do not know exactly how many G's you are pulling in the corners, you are just guessing, and isn't the point of software to remove some of the guessing? Also, both of my versions would sometimes throw bogus answers at me(like a major bar change not affecting roll angle?). Support is the worst(by a large margin) of the 3, being basically non-existant. Still, the program is useful. Say the car is pushing. There are any number of things you can do to move it towards neutral, but which helps the MOST? Chassis R&D will show you.

If I had to choose just 1 vendor, it would be Performance Trends, hands down. A wide range of topics addressed with many software titles, and they will all talk to one another. Engine, dyno, flow bench, suspension, DAQ, etc, etc.
trmiv
Post by trmiv »

Thanks, I'm trying out a few of the Performance Trends ones. Hard to decide if I like them in demo mode, a lot of stuff is disabled. At least they have demos though.

The Chassis R&D software requires you to know g-forces in the corner? How are you supposed to figure that out without data acquisition?
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Physics and computational mathematics will show the way. Call Isaac Newton. It is the law!
trmiv
Post by trmiv »

Well I've never been much with math, so I guess I'm out of luck.
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

We've used the Chassis R&D software since it's inception. Three track Championships later we're still using it. I had to forget a significant portion of what I THOUGHT I knew about chassis systems over the past 18+ years. It paid off handsomely! I calculate lateral G-force via time segments through the corners as a function of the corner radii. In simple terms, my math shows that for a 2100# Pro-4 up to a 2900# Super Late Model, with 8"-10" of rubber on the pavement, a G-force of 1.2-1.4 will get you very, very close with the software. We also found that Bolle's software requires very precise measurements on the chassis. Both front and rear. If you're 1/8" off, it will tell in the chassis setup. Been there, done that. But get it down to 1/16" or less, follow the handling recommendations for problems, and you'll be in a completely new chassis world. In our experience.

Dave
steveD

Post by steveD »

trmiv wrote:Thanks, I'm trying out a few of the Performance Trends ones. Hard to decide if I like them in demo mode, a lot of stuff is disabled. At least they have demos though.

The Chassis R&D software requires you to know g-forces in the corner? How are you supposed to figure that out without data acquisition?
I wonder if a Gtech would be helpful for this?
trmiv
Post by trmiv »

steveD wrote:
trmiv wrote:Thanks, I'm trying out a few of the Performance Trends ones. Hard to decide if I like them in demo mode, a lot of stuff is disabled. At least they have demos though.

I wonder if a Gtech would be helpful for this?
Yea, I was wondering if one of those would work. Only problem is, it could only be used on test days, I know our officials wouldn't let me run it on a race day.

I'm now trying to just purchase some Roll Center software, but I can't decide on which one. The Autoware and Chassis R&D one's are about $120, while the Performance Trends one is $79. Are there extra features in the Autoware and Chassis R&D that make them worth the extra $40 over the Performance Trends roll center software?
camarokid

Post by camarokid »

same here ive always wonderes if the Gtechs work cuz my dad wants to get one for his 89 camaro. but we wanna know if it really works good before we purchace one.
$Tyler$
Im only 13 but i know more than alot of adults i know! belive me!!!!