GM A body Rear body Tie Down Location for Towing?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

CraigG.
GM A body Rear body Tie Down Location for Towing?

Post by CraigG. »

Hey Everybody,

How do people tie down the body of a GM A body while towing to keep the rear from bouncing up and down?
Stock frame and 8 pt. roll bar, slicks - drag suspension.

Thanks Again, Craig
Skeezix
Re: GM A body Rear body Tie Down Location for Towing?

Post by Skeezix »

Use a racheting-strap wrapped over the axle tubes and snug it down until you see body-squat.

Being safety-nuts, we use one on each side.
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

I'm not sure what the OP is trying to eliminate, but if it's body bounce, I don't think tying the axle housing down will do it.
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

ZIGGY wrote:
I'm not sure what the OP is trying to eliminate,

but if it's body bounce,

I don't think tying the axle housing down will do it.

What were your suggestions?

We rachet the rear down until the rear bumper *begins* to drop as the slicks begin to "flex",
and have rolled on just fine since 1976. (Be sure to transport w/add'l psi in your slicks)

Controlling any loosey-goosey "bounce" during transport (of a typical full-bodied car with F/R drag-suspension) beyond those redundant safety measures is pretty much dependent upon the
front shock settings.

Is there the (up/down) expected suspension travel with *any* car on a roll-back/flat-bed, yes.

Is there even more movement ("bounce") with a full-bodied drag-car, with the expected drag-strip
suspension (esp. front-end) mods, yes.

(Can this "motion" be mildly disconcerting at first, yes.)
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Skeezix wrote:What were your suggestions?
Don't have any;never worried much about it as long as the car was securely tied down. I did once see a ct race car trailered with a fixed rod in place of each shock. Even using quick release shock pins, I doubt it would be worth the effort in terms of reducing wear & tear on the springs & shocks. The transmission of shock & vibration can't be good for the car either. JMO.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Ty the axles down and forget about the body bounce. Using Summit straps is good.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Bubstr

Post by Bubstr »

I just want to input what towing can do for a spring. If you think about it, the spring on the trailer and the spring on the car, act as a stacked spring. Stacked springs are used in circle track apps. The sum of the two springs gives a lesser rate than the lightest of the two. This can and does wear a spring out or change its rate and ride height from work hardening. I would suggest Blocking the car and eliminating any chance of this. I have turned a spring to junk going from Iowa to Florida before I started blocking. This was the days of leaf springs, and we where faced with finding tools to re arch some springs in a short amount of time. Add to this, some say that just the fact of the car not moving, makes for an easier drive. I don't really see much difference.
Older I get the less I know for sure
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

For towing race cars with leaf springs, I agree blocking could be worthwhile. They are notorious for short and abruptly ending life, athough as mentioned they can be re-arched fairly easily. My recollection is that re-arched springs did not last as long as new.
Nitrousknob
Pro
Pro

Post by Nitrousknob »

See what MAC tie downs have to offer. Thats what I used for my car. I used the straps that went around the tire, dosen't control body movement, but they will keep your car on the trailer and that's the main thing.
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Downside to tire straps is possible result of a tire deflating.
Classic Performance

Post by Classic Performance »

1966 GTO. I installed "D" rings in the frame. Aft of the rear wheels. Makes for a short tie down length.