anti-roll bar tubing

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
anti-roll bar tubing

Post by Dragsinger »

I need to build a custom length, custom mounting anti-roll bar.

For those who have done this, what tubing OD and wall thickness do you use?

My application is a small block door car running 5.95 1/8 mile. Weighs about 2950 with driver.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
mystic1582
Pro
Pro
Re: anti-roll bar tubing

Post by mystic1582 »

I'm guessing like a torsion bar set up with arms and links like the "link" below? The torion bars are typically 30" overall and come in varying rates or stiffness.

http://www.klmstore.com/images/products ... detail.jpg
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

I've made a few sets of anti-swaybars for road racing using 4130-tubing from 7/8" or 1" OD & 0.120"-wall. Most metal suppliers (such as On-LIne Metals.com) carry this. A std hydraulic tube bender from Harbor Freight makes the simple bends I need, but remember you need about a foot of 'waste' on each end for the bender to grab. I use a stock solid bar as an eyeball pattern. Hollow bars are 50% lighter with about 90% of same effect as solid bars of the same OD. Some guys use somewhat more expensive DOM tubing. Std 4130 also comes in an attractive black oxide protective coating. One thing with hollow bars: do NOT tack-weld limiter washers on them. Hollow bars will eventually crack at any welds or brazes. I use bolt on split-clamp limiters.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I have seen the welded c/m bars break also.I bought some used oval track bars with splined ends on e-bay. If the bar isn't the perfect lenght you can bend the arms to make everything fit.
BigBlocksOnTop
Pro
Pro

Post by BigBlocksOnTop »

If you are going to buy check out Air Products. They are in Kansas. The 4130 CM is Promoly....the good stuff. Made in USA/ Germany.
jscamaro1

Post by jscamaro1 »

When I build mine last winter I used 1 1/2 .188 wall, I bought it from Rj's/Quartermax. They have laser cut arms for the 1 1/2 size also.
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Post by Horndog »

jscamaro1 wrote:When I build mine last winter I used 1 1/2 .188 wall, I bought it from Rj's/Quartermax. They have laser cut arms for the 1 1/2 size also.
This is the size I used as well.
Jim Horner