How to fix my rocking car its like a row boat

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Backis

How to fix my rocking car its like a row boat

Post by Backis »

Having problems whith my super stocker runs 9.61 137mph 1.28 60ft no problems there but when i gettin up to speed the car starts to rock from side to side in an increasing
rate and when i get passed finish line and braking hard its not pleasant at all.Running radials 31.25 12.25 15 M/T have tried two diffrent sets on different rims but no change
Tried to change rebound on shocks from loose to fully tight tried compression in the same way but no change running afcos front and rear the front ones brand new.
Have no sway bars in rear but feel that it wont matter the car leaves straigt but a little high .Running 17psi in the rear tires.I would have thougt that i was alone whit this
problem But my friend have the same problem but in a more violant way the car leaves straigt but as soon the front tires touches the ground it looks like he would flip over on the side since it rocks so violent from side to side he have aborted all his runs so far and like me we seem to have lost arselves and cant figure out whats the problem.
Have seen other cars do this but not this much someone talked about radial walk and adressed the problem to the tires but i dont belive this since there are many cars that
run radial tires witout problems a have cancelled my last race because i have to fix the problem first if i can hopefully someone here can help me out because ive have runned out of ideas now.
mystic1582
Pro
Pro
Re: How to fix my rocking car its like a row boat

Post by mystic1582 »

With the car at speed. I.E. The front end up in the air, what are your toe and caster measurements. you can use floor jacks front/rear to get it close to what it looks like from a picture in the traps. Do you use a stering damper? Can you feel it in the steering wheel? or in the seat of your pants?

FYI, If It's an older car (69 Camaro etc) It probaboly was not designed to go this fast.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Need to know what suspension???

Oh and for mystic there a re many cars going 160+ that weren't designed to go that fast.. #-o
GURU is only a name.
Adam
mystic1582
Pro
Pro

Post by mystic1582 »

What I meant by "not designed to comfortably" go 130+ mph was that there may very well be alterations required to the "Stock" suspension to see the forest through the trees.
Backis

Post by Backis »

This is a -68 Camaro super stock car with 4-link setup and stock suspension at the front Chassis made by Mike Lupfher Colorado
Car weighs about 3300 Afco front shocks and rear coilovers afco with 125 pound spring cromemoly cage and set up with full rollcage
hope this can help The car has gone down in the 9.50 with 139mph witout problems this problem from what ive been told have happend before
and at that time it was the rear shocks that was bad but now i have newly rebuilt them with new springs with no change whatsoever.
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Are the front shocks worn out ?
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Backis

Post by Backis »

The front shocks are new afcos doubel adjustebal so i dont think thats the problem i am desperat to get some ideas were to look
and how i could fix the problem. Can it be that my rear springs gone bad ? rear shocks dont hold up to the task or can it be front end alignment toe in camber caster
is not right? give me some clues i would be most greatful
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Spring lose height, as they fatigue.

And get slightly softer.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

That car has no sway bar.....
Until it is fixed you got lucky before.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Bubstr

Post by Bubstr »

If your springs and shocks are in good shape, I would take a wild guess that your lateral control linkage is a wishbone with out an anti roll bar. A low roll center, narrow mounting points and a high center of gravity can set you up for this roll oscillation. Put a anti roll bar in it. Would be the easiest fix.
Older I get the less I know for sure
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

On our Falcons (mine with Stock pieces/Son's w/Alston adjustable tubular heim jointed and lower tubular heim joints and both stock ball joints and both cars haven't used sway bars for years), but we both use ladder bars which helps?

I raise the front 2" from static position then set
Camber 0*
Caster 7*
Toe-in 1/16" to 1/8"

Son runs 135 mph okay! Straight down the track.
Dale C.
Bubstr

Post by Bubstr »

BirdMan wrote:On our Falcons (mine with Stock pieces/Son's w/Alston adjustable tubular heim jointed and lower tubular heim joints and both stock ball joints and both cars haven't used sway bars for years), but we both use ladder bars which helps?

I raise the front 2" from static position then set
Camber 0*
Caster 7*
Toe-in 1/16" to 1/8"

Son runs 135 mph okay! Straight down the track.
Ladder Bars are an anti roll bar in disguise.Think of the Rear end assy. as the bar and the ladders as the arms.
Older I get the less I know for sure
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

[quote]Ladder Bars are an anti roll bar in disguise.Think of the Rear end assy. as the bar and the ladders as the arms.[quote]

I know, that is why I wrote it. But the alignment specs are useful?
Dale C.