Guru

How hard to rebuild a 700r?

Post by cv67 »

Have an opp to buy a coworkers late 80s??> S10 blazer

Reverse isnt cooperating til its been in there a minute or warm
All forward gears are good.

Bad time to be thinking about picking anything up it kinda found me
For $300 I cant go wrong drives it everyday had it since new decent shape

I sure couldnt afford a rebuild but could sure use another car to get to work so I could put my Silverado aside and get a few things fixed up. Guarantee Ill never miss work that type of thing.
Im not a bad wrench but defintely not a trans guy. Need to figure if its worth it real soon.

Cant buy much for that these days.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Re: How hard to rebuild a 700r?

Post by crazyman »

Any automatic trans takes special tools to rebuild. Can it be done without the tools? Yes, but only if you make your own special tools.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

If you want to buy $300 worth of tools (providing you already own several relatively expensive transmission tools used on most transmissions) and an ATSG manual, you can probably get the job done. Provided you have at least some experience with automatic transmissions.

However, you won't know/get all of the upgrades and tricks to make it work well.

The biggest problem you'll have is the forward input drum. I've built at least a couple hundred of those transmissions, and I hate that drum, it's an annoying pain in the neck.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

hoping if it did need agoing through I could do it for a few hun

I can build a motor confidently so tacking a trans...with the right direction Id give it a shot.
No dont have specialty tools. Still debating....such a good buy though.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

A late eighties S10 Blazer is not that good a buy, especially at that price. I've bought a half dozen early nineties running and driving, with a Vortec V6, for under $1K.

Enough tools to do the job right will cost you $500 or more. The parts to do it right will cost you another $400. That's if you have a good source.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

If thats as good as it gets probably have to pass.
Impossible to find anything out this way for even 1500 youd want to drive if it does.
This ones pretty decent/straight with very few needs.
See what youre saying though. Thought if I had a grand into a beater that drove well wouldnt be too bad. Well see. Ill have to check it out closely in daylight.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

Go to eBay and snag an ATSG rebuild manual and/or a GM service manual. Look back on eBay to see if any if the tools you need are there at a reasonable price.

If it looks like more trouble than it's worth, ask around some local shops and see what their "bench price" is; you bring them your ailing transmission, they either rebuild it or swap for one already done.
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warpspeed »

cuisinartvette wrote:
I can build a motor confidently so tacking a trans...with the right direction Id give it a shot.
No dont have specialty tools. Still debating....such a good buy though.
Even a very highly experienced engine builder cannot assemble an engine with just a pair of pliers.

If you don't have access to all the special tools, it would be wise to leave the job to someone that has both the tools and the experience to do the job properly.
Cheers, Tony.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I have a friend with a home business building transmissions. I recently did a trade, I built him a motor, he built me a 700r4. I spent 2 weeks, he did the trans in a few hours while I watched. he usually charges $1500 for the job with a new converter. I have done several t400/350 builds, much easier than engines. The 700s are a little more complex and you will need every bit of research material you can find, but if you are mechanical, you can do it. 700 transmissions made before 1987 are regarded as poor candidates for the effort. The ones you want have a half eliptical cast mark on the side next to the line fittings. The non- electric models have no speedo gears and no throttle valve cable. The U- pull wrecking yards only charge $130 exchange for them here. Find a van, it can be pulled in 30 min. or less. Make sure the oil isn't brown indicating slippage and overheating.
So much to do, so little time...