Camaro 73 body strenght

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

ErnandezSS350

Camaro 73 body strenght

Post by ErnandezSS350 »

Hellow amigos

I have a 73 Camaro with all steel body and fiberglas hood. I'm building a 434 small block to it to strip and street. This engine will be good to 600hp, asperated and no power adder.

I don't know how much power the camaro frame and body will take before It twist and damage.

My car have call tracks , 3350lbs weight and I'll put subframe connectors. I'd like to avoid a cage to not weld the car.

How much it will take on the strip abuse? I should have a cage?

Thanks
Ernandez
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Re: Camaro 73 body strenght

Post by Horndog »

Yes, subframe connectors are a must. Weld them in ... take your time to get the fit tight as they go thru the floor boards. This is what really strentghens the car. What you also can do to help strengthen the uni-body is to add some stitch welding to where the support/gusset panels are spot-welded to the main panels.

Note** if the rubber bushings between the front and rear subframes and the body are worn out, replace these first before welding in the subframe connectors. Check that the front and rear suspension bushings are in tip top condition, replace if not. Same with the ball joints on the front. Since you've said your running Cal-Tracs, be sure to run a good spring and shock on the rear with new hardware throughout.

You didn't say what track you'd be racing on ... 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile. If the track is sanctioned by NHRA (for example), there are ET limits before a car is required to add a roll bar.
Jim Horner
ErnandezSS350

Post by ErnandezSS350 »

Sorry for the late response Jim.
I've been wonking too much and had problems with my computer.

All bushings are PU, but I have to buy the frame bushings because the ones in the car are from the factory and are bad.
You think solid aluminum bushings would be good or PU bushings are best?
Then you think my car won't need a cage to stiff the car at 600 horses level?

The race is 1/4 mile.The track isn't NHRA sanctioned .

Thanks for the help.

Ernandez
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Post by Horndog »

The PU bushings will work fine. I welded in a set of Competiton Engineering (Moroso) sub-frame connectors in my Nephew's 1980 Camaro. I like the way they fit his car. It is a T-top car and his 406 smallblock is making around 550hp. He was on a budget when we built it and it just has a set of stock replacement rear multi-leafs and Lakewood slapper bars. The car doesn't twist and will pull both front tires an inch. Front end is stock with sway bar removed and running 90/10 shocks. Running PU engine and trans mounts too. Put in a good lap and shoulder belts!

Good luck on your project.
Jim Horner
ErnandezSS350

Post by ErnandezSS350 »

Horndog wrote:The PU bushings will work fine. I welded in a set of Competiton Engineering (Moroso) sub-frame connectors in my Nephew's 1980 Camaro. I like the way they fit his car. It is a T-top car and his 406 smallblock is making around 550hp. He was on a budget when we built it and it just has a set of stock replacement rear multi-leafs and Lakewood slapper bars. The car doesn't twist and will pull both front tires an inch. Front end is stock with sway bar removed and running 90/10 shocks. Running PU engine and trans mounts too. Put in a good lap and shoulder belts!

Cool, you know how much this 80 camaro weight?

Thanks for helping Horndog ,

Ernandez
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Post by Horndog »

ErnandezSS350 wrote:
Horndog wrote:The PU bushings will work fine. I welded in a set of Competiton Engineering (Moroso) sub-frame connectors in my Nephew's 1980 Camaro. I like the way they fit his car. It is a T-top car and his 406 smallblock is making around 550hp. He was on a budget when we built it and it just has a set of stock replacement rear multi-leafs and Lakewood slapper bars. The car doesn't twist and will pull both front tires an inch. Front end is stock with sway bar removed and running 90/10 shocks. Running PU engine and trans mounts too. Put in a good lap and shoulder belts!

Cool, you know how much this 80 camaro weight?

Thanks for helping Horndog ,

Ernandez
It's all steel and has not ever been on a diet. It scaled 3550. He weighs 150lbs.
Jim Horner
hoop98

Post by hoop98 »

Tie the roll cage into the Uni-Body with flanges.
ErnandezSS350

Post by ErnandezSS350 »

hoop98 wrote:Tie the roll cage into the Uni-Body with flanges.
I have no experience in cages, but I may built one for my car by myself if its worth the effort.

Would a six point roll cage be enough to my car's power level? Where are the best places in the car to weld the flanges?

The help from you friends are great!

Thanks
Ernandez
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

The specs require certain points for the bar.

Like main hoop has to be behind driver and above the head/helmet, tied into the frame.
The front and rear ward bars need to be to frame or use 6" steel plates.
I think the front driver bar needs to cross the body between the shoulder and elbow?

Been awhile since I looked at the book.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
ErnandezSS350

Post by ErnandezSS350 »

John Wallace wrote:The specs require certain points for the bar.

Like main hoop has to be behind driver and above the head/helmet, tied into the frame.
The front and rear ward bars need to be to frame or use 6" steel plates.
I think the front driver bar needs to cross the body between the shoulder and elbow?

Been awhile since I looked at the book.

:)
This is good info John Wallace!

Thanks
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Cages, please get an NHRA rule book so that you will know what you need for sure.

Just my humble opinion.

pdq67