Best brake shoes for drag car(2CHEAP4DISCS)

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

GM-DR

Best brake shoes for drag car(2CHEAP4DISCS)

Post by GM-DR »

Currently running a 69 camaro drag car withe factory drum brakes 9-1/2" I am using the cheap organic shoes(same set for last 20 years,probably over 3000 passes) these worked much better than the semi-metalic I had been using--I sand them and set them 2-3 times a year,but am looking for better braking performance without spending over $1000--Car weigh's 3400# Speed at the end is between 108 and 118 depending on which motor I am running.
Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks in advance for your help !
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Re: Best brake shoes for drag car(2CHEAP4DISCS)

Post by BirdMan »

I had a 1956 Chevy I wanted better brakes on and I opted for some new GM Corvette drum and sintered metallic segmented shoes. WoW did they work (as soon as they were up to temperature) really well and I had to let up on pedel pressure to keep from skidding the tires!!!
Dale C.
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

We always bought two sets and discarded the smaller shoes and sanded the shoe to match the radius of the drum worked like a champ.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

"I" would consider buying a take-off set of 11" brakes from an Impala or Caprice or somesuch. Find someone converting to discs, or locate 'em in a salvage yard. Everyone wants discs, I'd think 11" drum stuff would practically be a give-away.

I'm doing exactly that on the rear of my Chevelle--installing '75 Monte Carlo backing plates to use the 11" drum equipment. The only hold-up is finding the right park-brake bar springs since the ones I have are totaled.
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

Find a brake relining company that will put forklift brake lining material in the shoes.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

GM-DR wrote:Currently running a 69 camaro drag car withe factory drum brakes 9-1/2" I am using the cheap organic shoes(same set for last 20 years,probably over 3000 passes) these worked much better than the semi-metalic I had been using--I sand them and set them 2-3 times a year,but am looking for better braking performance without spending over $1000--Car weigh's 3400# Speed at the end is between 108 and 118 depending on which motor I am running.
Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks in advance for your help !
>> with 9 1/2" dia. GM made an aluminum drum, with iron insert. I believe this was 2" wide, circa 1978 ? Cheers, flyingwedge. :)
vht

Post by vht »

Buy a set of Rabestos with the rivets, I ran a set on my 68 Camaro yrs ago all season running 10's. The best glue on type linings would last 1 race before they glazed over.
Mattax

Post by Mattax »

If you can find the NAO edge code on the lining material you'll at least have a reference point. It may be an indentation or a stamp or sometimes there is both.
The double letters represent friction, higher is better. such as F is better than E. The first letter is a lower temperature point and the second one is friction at a higher temperature point.

Since you are successful with organic, then your needs are probably in the lower temperature ranges. Funny, because on my '74 Nova I had the best experience with GM semi-metalic shoes. But every situation is different. You may want to look for old stock on e-bay (yes. made with asbestos), better grades of over the counter shoes. Porterfield and Carbotech (and maybe others) do offer linings for drum brakes. Others may too. Not cheap! You will have to be clear about the temperature range you're working in since these guys deal mostly with road racers and circle track types.