88' Z28 Track Day suspension

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

flyingwedge
Expert
Expert
88' Z28 Track Day suspension

Post by flyingwedge »

Currently has stock supension, and oem 4 wheel disk,std. Z28 pwr steer., subframe connectors and aftermarket torque arm. Looking for maximum improvement with minimal $'s. Convert to SLA front or camber plates with better struts ? Has gas KYB's. Has a warm 383 and a T56, 275-40/17BFG Comp "Sports", all 4 corners. The front camber curve needs help. Thanks, flyingwedge. :)
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert
Re: 88' Z28 Track Day suspension

Post by flyingwedge »

Nobody at all ? :(
Walline

Post by Walline »

Try it out, and see what you think it lacks per your skill and go after fixing that. I myself would say brakes.
bob.mullikin

Post by bob.mullikin »

Hi, I've done a fair amount of road racing through the years, chassis prep and suspension design. I have to agree with one of the posts that suggested a brake upgrade. There's nothing more unnerving than screaming into a corner and having brake fade or brake related issues. Brakes make the difference between a fun track day and a tense or difficult one. As a driver, you want to be comfortable and confident the car will do what you ask of it. So I would start there.

When I start a project on a chassis, I first take about a full day to measure and locate all of the suspension and chassis components. You will also need the wheel weights and CG location. Once you have that done, you can make educated changes that affect things like camber, castor, toe, camber curve, bump steer, akerman, etc. The way I started was with a book called, "How to make your car handle," by Fred Puhn It's an older book, but everything it talks about is relevant. Then there are the Carroll Smith books which are pretty high tech, but also very informative. I also found some software out there on the internet called, "Race Car Engineer." This software along with the data from your measurements allows you to set up the car pretty well to start and then allows you to make "what if" choices with spring rates and sway bar rates. It's pretty cool. Can't remember where I got it, but it was like 50-100 bucks. Let me know if you are interested and I'll take a look to see where I got it from.

Good luck on your project. Sounds like fun!
Bob
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The factory parts (especially front brakes) for the 1LE package (~'89-'92) could be a cheap and effective start..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Post by Horndog »

MadBill wrote:The factory parts (especially front brakes) for the 1LE package (~'89-'92) could be a cheap and effective start..
X2
Jim Horner
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

MadBill wrote:The factory parts (especially front brakes) for the 1LE package (~'89-'92) could be a cheap and effective start..
>> Ok, Is this "beyond the Z28 spec. ? Dealer item or where, good used ? Thanks, flyingwedge.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It was a special low volume option for SCCA road racing; the parts are/were all available from GM dealers. Google 1990 1LE Camaro or check out these links:
http://members.shaw.ca/tunedportinjecti ... ticles.htm

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/camar ... -iroc.html
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.