autobody painting

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

tonydee
autobody painting

Post by tonydee »

Need to find a way to negatively charge the body to reduce dust in the paint due to static charge.

tony d.
brandonu

Re: autobody painting

Post by brandonu »

Lightly mist with PPG's DX-103. Let is dissipate off then shoot your your base. I think the main anti-static ingredient is alcohol.
tonydee

Post by tonydee »

Thanks brandonu. How would you treat it when shooting clear? That's when I get the most dust/dirt.
brandonu

Post by brandonu »

You could apply it just the same. Once the base flashes off, I'd tack it down by hand, re-mist with the 103, let it dry, and start laying clear. The window from spraying the base to spraying the top coat will give you enough time to do everything.
brandonu

Post by brandonu »

Looking at the "P" sheet just now and it states "softening may occur" when used over top coats. I've not had issues, but...

If static can't be wiped away with a tack cloth misted with alcohol, maybe drop a "ground" chain or wire from the piece being sprayed. Not sure how well that will work, but may be worth a try. 2-3 coats of clear and a good wet-sand should remove you dust imperfections regardless.
Nitrousknob
Pro
Pro

Post by Nitrousknob »

Been hanging chains off frames for years, also a static clean sheet will help, don't know about a whole car but they work on bumper covers