caltracs

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

gearhead969
caltracs

Post by gearhead969 »

I'm building a 84 short box pickup primarily a drag truck has a 468 BBC made 590 on the dyno 400 turbo with trans brake and 4800 stall my question is can I make it hook up with stock type suspension and caltracs has 28.5 x 11.5 slicks 3 way adjustable shocks on the back any tricks to try fuel cell and battery are both moved to the back
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Re: caltracs

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Why not? Some cars ran high eights is the quarter with caltracks .

Poliurethane bushings would be a very good idea also.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
gearhead969

Post by gearhead969 »

Can someone tell me the right way to set up for a pickup the more I read the less I think I know I read that the lower hole on the front will move instant center forward I would think on a truck application that would be good but then been told if on top holes it will hit the tires harder that sounds right to I understand wanting the drivers weight in seat and tank filled to were your gonna run it for weight and so preload is set with the weight but can't get my head around the front hole setting and exactly what the change in holes is gonna do for me
eikoor
Pro
Pro

Post by eikoor »

gearhead969 wrote:Can someone tell me the right way to set up for a pickup the more I read the less I think I know I read that the lower hole on the front will move instant center forward I would think on a truck application that would be good but then been told if on top holes it will hit the tires harder that sounds right to I understand wanting the drivers weight in seat and tank filled to were your gonna run it for weight and so preload is set with the weight but can't get my head around the front hole setting and exactly what the change in holes is gonna do for me
Do you have them in hand? do the truck cal traks go above the axle or below?
On the cars they go below the spring and the lowest hole offer more leverage to arch the spring and worked the best in most applications I have seen, but my 60 ft times were just as good with a $10.00 home made pinion snubber set up.
gearhead969

Post by gearhead969 »

They go below the axle a friend has a set on a 80 camaro with a 496 and they work great but his don't have the 3 holes on front bracket so the leverage is better with them set in top or highest hole ? Plan is to take the truck to a 1/8 the mile track in 2 weeks and I would like to be close to right set up
eikoor
Pro
Pro

Post by eikoor »

The only way you will know what is right for your combo is to try one setting against another, my 70 nova spun in the top hole and did 1.47 60 ft's in the bottom hole
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

The top hole will hit the tire harder on the on the spring side, the bottom hole on the rear end housing will hit harder than the top hole.
2007 HotRod Drag Week Winner SB/NA
2012 HotRod Drag Week Winner SS SB/NA
Fastest/Quickest Small Block N/A
Stock Suspension Car on Drag Week since 2007
9.67@ 139 with a 1.42 60' thru the Mufflers Dot tires
Thanks RFD Heads and Intakes