Dirt Track Tire Selection

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

4banger
Pro
Pro

Dirt Track Tire Selection

Post by 4banger »

I was thinking of using a skinny tire on my left front on my dirt track mustang. I'm running 10 inch wide tires all around but remembered that long ago my dad would run a skinny tire on the left front. I thought it was to help the car turn and be easier to push.(6 inches compared to 10 inches) When I asked at the track official about getting the skinny size tire and stay within track rules the guy tells me the wider tire would be better. What does everyone else think? Has anyone run a skinny tire on the left front before and how did it affect the handling of the car? Thanks
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken...
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Re: Dirt Track Tire Selection

Post by Unkl Ian »

LONG time ago, the left front was typically skinny, also shorter.
This helped handling by adding wedge.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
fast_crew
Pro
Pro

Post by fast_crew »

The Big Block/ Small block NE Mods still run a narrower LF. I believe it has to do more with more weight per/sq. in. then it does drag. The shorter LF does add a lot of wedge, and also adds a bit of braking effect, allowing for a freeier turn in when on the brakes. When we where allowed we played with as much as 6-7" of front stagger fast, yes but after a rule change (same size all 4 corners) we were faster with the same size tires aside from the slight variance for stagger that we could get about 1.5"-2".
Josh K.
4banger
Pro
Pro

Post by 4banger »

fast crew--- do you mean the speeds were the same or faster with all tires the same size? I know a smaller tire helps stagger but thought narrower tires help speed as the less tire the easier to push. Isn't that why some modifies run different width tires on front and back? Does anyone think its worth running narrow tires on left front? I was gonna try it but if difference is next to nothing I wont bother. Any other thoughts? Thanks all!
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken...
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

4banger wrote: I know a smaller tire helps stagger
On a beam axle...