I need help choosing slicks...

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

n2oracer
I need help choosing slicks...

Post by n2oracer »

I talked to all the tire reps at this years NHRA race. Everybody claims to be better than the other guy. So I'm looking for some unbiased opinions on which tire to use on my 84 Regal. The car has the typical bolt on suspension(double adj uppers & lowers and anti-roll bar) and makes about 700hp before the nitrous.

I'm going to be using 8" wheels. I have an old set of Goodyear 30 x 9 radial slicks w/ 94" roll out that fit the car perfect. I tried a 29.5 x 10.5 but it hit the frame rails. So I've decided to use a 29.5/30 x 9. There are so many choices as far as bias vs radial vs compound vs brand. I'm not sure if the radial slick will work consistently while on the bottle but I think I need the stiffer sidewalls because of the weight. Does anybody make a bias slick with a stiff sidewall in the 30 x 9's? Does one brand have stiffer sidewalls than the others?
n2oracer
Post by n2oracer »

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

I have not personallt raced in yers so have no first hand actual experience with any of the newer tires. I have not responded to you because all of my advice or information is second and third hand information.

Here in the Texas area the preferred tire of the True 10.5 class is the Mickey Thompson. In the Outlaw 10.5W classes guys are using the Goodyears and the Hoosiers. In the Big Tire classes guys are using pretty much all of them. For some reason I do not see many using the Phoenix tire around here. Back when the Tire was called a Firestone it was very popular.

Most heavy cars that hit the tires hard are using a stiff sidewall tire but there are still some that prefer a soft sidewall.

I think waht will work best for you will largely depend on which size and what is your type of racing.
Ed