Aluminum floor, trunk instead of steel.

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Chipped tooth
Pro
Pro
Aluminum floor, trunk instead of steel.

Post by Chipped tooth »

We just picked up a Chevelle that is in decent shape but needs trunk floor bad and a little patch work on foot area whare driver and passenger sit.

Anyways we are gonna make it a race only small tire car and would like to use aluminum to replace the complete trunk floor and most of the passenger compartment floor.

Are there any good kits for a non back halved car?

How does a guy fasten it to the steel shell? I'm shure ill have to make new cross members too?
jsgarage
Expert
Expert
Re: Aluminum floor, trunk instead of steel.

Post by jsgarage »

Substituting sheet aluminum for steel floors, you'll have to make them such that there's a 3" or so flange around the new floor that you can metal-screw to the existing remnants of the floor & console/tranny tunnel. And once you start cutting, you may find the floor has stamped crossmembers in it that act as structural parts, so you'll have to add stiffening tubes. I really doubt if much weight savings will result, but aluminum is nice to work with and bends/forms easily. It does not patch unless you have access to a TIG welder, though. This is lots more work than it looks and you'll learn a lot about how cars are put together.
Chipped tooth
Pro
Pro
Re: Aluminum floor, trunk instead of steel.

Post by Chipped tooth »

Yeah we scrapped the idea after looking at some scabby cars at the track.

If it wer a tube chassis car then yes I would go aluminum, but steel patch panels look like much less work.

Thanks for the response.... :-)