Brake fluid ?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

winr

Re: Brake fluid ?

Post by winr »

No, I never changed it.. should have :)

The truck went into storage, I went out of country, came back an went through a 2 year custody/divorce... lol

I normally flush all fluids an change lubricants on my vehicles.

Ricky.
All your Truck are belong to us
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Jens.J wrote:Hydraulic oil will destroy all the rubber lines and seals :roll:
Not always, my 1 buddy uses sae10 hyd oil in 5 of his cars, he tested it first, left 2 diffrent seal kits in hyd oil for 6 months, all good, and he is using it in 1 of his cars that is the main runaround car in town, over the last year and a half he has not had any problems, I would say test some seals in oil first and take it from there, I'm also considering on useing hyd oil, was only waiting to see the outcome as he said he would give it a try and so far so good,
Bowtie for life
Kahuna
Pro
Pro

Post by Kahuna »

To me, what winr mentions is very strange.
I use Dot 5 fluid in both my old cars (32 & 39 Fords) and the 39 has had the Dot 5 for more than 24 years without issue of water or rust. Perhaps, this is due to a local climate?
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

RE using silicone/DOT 5: one of my friends came into work wide-eyed and shaken one beautiful Dec day. Seems his bike had silicone in it, and water collected in a low spot... then froze overnight, blocking the line. The first red light he hit- sailed right thru with max pressure on the brake lever. Not a good idea on Chicago's boulevards during commute. Thawed and changed fluid in the loading dock during lunch hour & never talks about silicone brake fluid anymore. Local conditions indeed.