Has anyone used tire softener?

What works?

Looking to put them on a set of drag radials for alittle more "stick"
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Re: Tire softener?

Post by ZIGGY »

The branded stuff like Track Claw, Hot Lap, etc. all work fairly well though with a little different effects one to another.
Generally expensive to use with circle track tires. Drag tires, I wouldn't think a concern. In my time, I've used everything from diesel and acetone to
"blanket roller" for printing presses. Go kart racers are a good source for the latest & greatest tire treatments.
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

I recently had a conversation with three Goodyear Racing tire engineers, that happened to be at an NHRA national event, on this subject.

The bottom line was they said not to use it. The reason that they gave was that the chemicals used to "soften" the rubber will leach into the tire until they affected he bond between the rubber and the cord. They couldn't say how long it would take (mainly because it depended on how much you used during each application).

They did say that the correct inflation pressure was very critical. These three engineers were involved in the testing of the Ford Cobra Jet factory race cars, which use a 9" tire on very high HP (800+) cars. They tested tire pressures on these cars from 12 psi to 25 psi and said that if they were "off" by two psi it would make a significant ET difference under average track conditions. On bad tracks (high temperature, poorly prepared, etc.) no amount of traction compound will help.
Project Greenlight
evilbanshee

Post by evilbanshee »

interesting. Thanks for the info
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

yes every weekend..track claw..best stuff on the market..but now we circle track race.
evilbanshee

Post by evilbanshee »

Who sells track claw?

Whats the best way to apply it?
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

www.speedwaymotors.com www.jegs.com www.summitracing.com
Follow the directions on the can.