bump steer kit

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Ron Gusack
Expert
Expert

bump steer kit

Post by Ron Gusack »

I put a bump steer kit on my 70 Nova and the alignment guy adjusted it as close to the steering knuckle as he could but said it needed to be even closer. He said a stock tie rod end would be better for my car. Anybody run into this situation before?
The things you see when you ain't got your gun!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: bump steer kit

Post by MadBill »

A typical bump steer kit can only move the pivot point in one direction (usually down), which may or may not be what's required. Moving the inboard end of the tie rod down does the same thing as moving the outer end up, so if the kit will fit at the inboard end, just use it there.

Not that I recommend it, but I've seen a big hammer used to 'adjust' the height of the steering arm... :roll:
Here's a useful link from another S/T thread: http://www.pozziracing.com/
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

I had a bump steer issue in my truck with different spindles,and it was very annoying chirping of tires over railroad tracks and stuff. When I lowered it with springs it went away with the angles changing with the lower A frame and tie rod. Also I made my tie rods more even to help eliminate some...It took a long time to figure out what was better.
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
HotRodRay

Post by HotRodRay »

Guessing wont work. Which is what happens when you duplicate somebody elses changes.

There is really no substitute for actually measuring one front wheel, and adjusting as necessary. (Both should be identical)

It is not tough, but takes a little understanding as to how its done.
pitts64

Post by pitts64 »

That Nova is rear steer.. Give it more positive caster.. I like around 6 positive..
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Fyi, the Dave Morgan book has a very good section on plotting bumpsteer on graph paper, using straight edges on the rotors, and two plumb bobs. It has a chart on what to do with each scenario. The Herb Adams book is also an excellent resource, and taught me a great deal about front end and steering geometry.

I've seen guys drill the steering arm and bolt the heim right tight to the arm.

Fwiw, I'm "trying" to build an Opel GT [goal to have it done when I retire in '19]. I found a Pinto rack was way too wide. I had it narrowed, and although I have a tad bit of camber change, I was able to get zero bumpsteer. With the rack at the proper width and height, moving the rack up or down 1/16" of an inch results in bumpsteer.

Dave
p.s. - ditto on the positive caster, but bumpsteer is dangerous, regardless of caster.
pitts64

Post by pitts64 »

Rear steer linkages are always going to have that skittish feel to them due to the center link being under compression. Check out Pro Touring or the Nova forum..
The only way I ever got one of those cars to handle and drive nicely was to change the whole sub to the front steer 1970 F body or the 73 up Nova / Ventura.
Dont try to run a lot of caster with one it will do all kinds of wierd things and it will let you know the second theres a little play in the drag link..