CAMARO VS METRIC

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

ROMPRON

CAMARO VS METRIC

Post by ROMPRON »

IS A CAMARO REALLY THAT MUCH FASTER THAN A METRIC CAR. I RACE A 85 MONTE ON A 1/4 MILE BANKED OVAL. IM A FRONT RUNNER ALMOST EVERY WEEK BUT ONLY HAD A COUPLE WINS LAST YEAR. THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I RECENTLY HAD A CHANCE TO HOT LAP A FRIENDS CAMARO. IT WAS FASTER THAN MY CAR BY A COUPLE TENTHS. I AM ALWAYS WORKING ON MY CAR TRYING TO MAKE IT FASTER AND I KNOW I HAVE MORE POWER. HIS CAR JUST FLEW OUT OF THE CORNER. IM THINKING ABOUT GIVING UP ON METRIC AND BUYING A CAMARO. CAN ANYBODY TALK ME OUT OF THIS. I DO LOVE MY CAR BUT I WANT TO WIN RACES OR I MIGHT AS WELL STAY HOME. ANY TIPS WOULD BE GREAT. IVE TRIED EVERY TRICK I KNOW TO GET IT TO GO THROUGH THE CORNER.

CAR COULD BE SOLD 4500.00 OBO TURN KEY WITH EXTRA PARTS.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

You need to learn how to properly tune your cars chassis/suspension. A good setup will allow you to cut your lap times. Best of luck!
ZEROMAN91
Pro
Pro

CAMARO VS METRIC

Post by ZEROMAN91 »

My friends and I race a metric in street stock on 5/8th dirt, we're competitive but haven't won yet the real fast cars are camaros. I think the leaf spring is an advantage over the coil spring. when we changed over from auto to stick it was difficult to find a pedal assembly to fit a metric car.
Nitro

Post by Nitro »

Have you ever scaled your car? I think the biggest difference in metric vs. f-body is the weight distribution. True, the front and rear suspensions are different, but proberly tuned I think the metric's rear setup is better.

I have a street Malibu (1979) and the solution I found for the clutch pedal is the 88-92 F-body unit:

http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/fivespeed.shtml

I haven't installed it yet, still working on a solution for linkage/exhaust problem.

Nitro
ROMPRON

SCALED

Post by ROMPRON »

IVE SCALED MY CAR AND FIND IT TO BE VERY LIGHT IN THE REAR. IVE WON QUITE A FEW LOCAL RACES BUT GET TORE UP BY SOME OF THE OUT OF TOWN CAMAROS BUT THEN SO DO OR LOCAL CAMAROS.
Nitro

Post by Nitro »

I would work on your weight distribution, then tune your chassis. I think the best I could get out of mine was 48% rear, but it was enough. The metric chassis, IMO, are great raw material for circle track cars. I won four features and a championship in an 83 Malibu, so I'm kinda partial. Only three cars that could beat me were to g-bodies and an 84 t-bird, but I could beat two of them too. The other was my teammate and he was just too smooth a driver.
ZEROMAN91
Pro
Pro

clutch linkage

Post by ZEROMAN91 »

Nitro have you looked at the tilton or mcleod hydraulic tob and linkage? It looks real good.