Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Testing/Matching shocks

Post by BOOT »

How do you test the rate of a shock?

I got some really old 50/50 shocks that worked well on a car and am replacing them with some qa1 SA while upgrading the suspension some. The car worked well but the modified stock components are disintegrating, so gotta replace and upgrade. I was thinking maybe I could use a fish scale to get me close on the qa1, still idk if that would work and since I don't have one.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Testing/Matching shocks

Post by BOOT »

I know I can dial the new shocks in, but I figured there has to be away to test your shocks. I'm sure some people are checking them after each race, season or once in awhile to see if they need adjusted or sent in for rebuild.

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

I've recently been using a shock dyno and I see no way a fish scale could simulate the conditions of a dyno which can be regulated for the rate of speed for bump and rebound. With a dyno you can graph the old shock and assuming it is good, set the new shock up as long as it is an adjustable shock. If not adjustable, you can compare shocks for similar characteristics or even new characteristics. For example you may want a tighter rebound on a rear shock for a stick car. If your comparing non-adjustable shocks I'll bet you will go through a pile of them to get a matched set.
Other than that, it's just hit the track and test-n-tune until you are happy (or worn out!).
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

BOOT wrote:I know I can dial the new shocks in, but I figured there has to be away to test your shocks. I'm sure some people are checking them after each race, season or once in awhile to see if they need adjusted or sent in for rebuild.
shock dyno is the only way to do it. Standard piece of equipment and any local chassis shop...especially circle track.
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

to answer your question.no you cant test with a fish scale..the only true way of testing it is with a shock dyno..find a circle track shop in your area ..and they can point you in the right direction.i have one at my shop..and i usually charge 25.00 per shock to do the test with the print out ..gives you the graph of the shock in compression and rebound.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Good info thx guys!