Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

slave cyl size

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi.
just a question of curriosity what happens if you enlarge rear slave cyl on the brakes?
lets say its one inch.. and you step it up to 1 1/8.
for discussion sake rest of system stays the same.
thanks
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
governor
Expert
Expert

Re: slave cyl size

Post by governor »

You loose some pressure when going larger, what are you trying to accomplish?

Gov
a passion for racing
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi. Its not me its my one buddy. He fitting a 12bolt diff into one of his cars and the slaves are totally ruined. He's got a set slaves he wants to use but its 1/8 bigger in the pistons.
i was thinking there was gonna be a bit of less pressure on the pedal but wasnt sure if someting else was gonna happen. System has no power assist and drums in front as well,
thanks for reply.
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

You mean the rear wheel Cyl, not the slave or master cyl. If you are talking axle wheel cyl larger then pressure should not change much.

I re-read your post and realized your term was a little different than what I was used to, LOL

Gov
a passion for racing
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi , im from south africa and the 'lingo' here is way different than anywhere else, sorry for the misunderstanding caused. If i start talking the american way of headers ,oil pans and stuff the petrol heads here think im weird,lol. :lol:
Thanks for the help.
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

Some sprint car racers I know from United States who are from Michigan have made trips to race in your area the last few years, did you happen to attend
any of those races?

Gov
a passion for racing
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Give me a reality check if need be.

Doesn't the pressure coming from the master say the same? And, doesn't that pressure on a wheel cyl [slave] with more piston area result in MORE force on the shoes?
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

The PSI would not change from the master cyl, but I believe the pedal would stroke a little farther to fill the added sq inch of the larger wheel cyl.

I very sure the pressure at the wheel cyl would not change, but maybe someone who has more Hyd pressure knowledge will chime in here.

Gov
a passion for racing
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

dave brode wrote:Give me a reality check if need be.

Doesn't the pressure coming from the master say the same? And, doesn't that pressure on a wheel cyl [slave] with more piston area result in MORE force on the shoes?
You are correct, with a bigger bore wheel cylinder and everything else remains the same size bore you will have more pressure/force on the shoes or more clamping on pads if it is a disc brake system.

Governor is also correct.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

governor wrote:Some sprint car racers I know from United States who are from Michigan have made trips to race in your area the last few years, did you happen to attend
any of those races?

Gov
Hi yes i did , was an experience seeing how their setup on sprints against ours. And i know our top driver also went over to your side to race.
over here there are few things that screams like a sprint ,only other would be the rotaries.
Thanks to all the replies i will forward it to my buddy and will see what happens but i still think he should be fine with it.
thanks
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

You will have a little longer stroke on the pedal. The master cyclinder will still put out the same pressure. You will have more force on the shoes.
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud »

I bored out the rear slave cylinders on my road racer to increase the rear bias -all other things kept the same.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Olefud wrote:I bored out the rear slave cylinders on my road racer to increase the rear bias -all other things kept the same.
In effect its exactly what my friend is doing buzy now helping him fitting cylinders and new brake shoes and all. This is all on a pontiac parisienne. Which here in south africa came out with chevy drivetrain. 327 powerglide and 12bolt c clip diff 3.07 ratio. Its a big car so i dont think there will be any issues with locking up the rear wheels.
thanks for all the input guys.
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life