Front suspension geometry?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

techinspector1 wrote:I was hellbound and determined to design and build my own IFS on a T-roadster project several years ago. I read book after book and learned nothing about how to go about it until I read Carroll Smith. He's the only person on the planet who put it all together for me with his "paper doll" approach. I successfully completed the construction of said project with 9 1/2" of suspension travel at zero bump steer and 3 1/2 degrees of camber gain at full bump with minimal scrub.

Now that I've done it, I'll never do it again. Building all the jigs and fixtures to make everything right was a pain in my butt and in my pocketbook. Not to mention all the planning, scaling, choosing materials, ad infinitum. I think everybody should do it once, just so they can appreciate the engineering that goes into it.

I strongly suggest getting all of Smith's books and absorbing them fully before starting out on this quest.
You should have advertised the jigs for sale to street rod or oval track shops....! I'd be very surprised if you wouldn't have gotten something for your time.
I'm with the original poster- most all OE stuff is ugly (to some of us that matters) and with bad camber gain.