Center of gravity highth

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Bubstr
Center of gravity highth

Post by Bubstr »

I used to have a formula to find the center of gravity hight, but cannot find or remember it. I do remember that you scaled front and rear, then added fron up and rear up. Then raised fron a specified amout depending on the wheelbase and rescaled at the higher level. I seem to remember you found the center of gravity length for both and triangulated both to find the highth. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Older I get the less I know for sure
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

You only have to lift one end. If you lift the rear end:

The CG height = L(nsubr-Nsubr)/(WT) + r

where "L" is the wheelbase, "nsubr" is the weight on the rear wheels before lifting, "Nsubr" is the weight after lifting, "W" is the total car weight, "r" is the tire radius, and "T" is determined by:

T = R/ (square root of (1- Rsquared))

Where "R" is the ratio of the height you lifted the centerline of the rear axle to the wheelbase.

Suppose, for instance, that you lifted the rear of a 3500 pound car by 24 inches. The rear wheel weight, before lifting, is 1680 pounds and is 1638 pounds at the elevated height. The wheelbase is 112 inches and the tire radius is 12 inches. "T" works out to 0.2194 and the CG height comes out at about 18 inches. Note that the weight difference is only 24 pounds. This means you have to be very accurate in all your measurements if your answer is to be accurate.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

To really get it accurate, you also need to include the driver, lock the suspension heights, account for changing tire deflection, eliminate and/or account for all liquids re sloshing, etc., etc.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

Thanks for the formula. Is there anyway this could be used by elevating the front of the car , as that would put the liquids in a place an active car would have them?
Older I get the less I know for sure
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

That was supposed to be a difference of 42 pounds, not 24. (A bit of dyslexia, I guess.)

Anyway, as I said, you can lift either end. The equation is still valid.

I think Bill was just giving us a hard time. Don't worry about the liquids, as your scales aren't precise enough to detect any differences. Same with suspension spring deflections. And, tire deflection rates being as high as they are, you don't need to worry about that, either. Your concerns will be with the use of the tape measure and recording of the scale readings.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I guess for drag race purposes my comments were mostly irrelevant, but for a serious road race or circle track car, all that and much more is very important. A good friend of mine makes his living as a hired gun for race teams, e.g. Champ Car, NASCAR, etc. http://www.rowleyrace.com/ and he spends a ton of time getting such stuff measured before any on-track testing.

BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

Yes, Bill, you can be a bit off on CG height and it's not going to make that much difference in adjustment of link angles and such.

Your friend sounds like a good candidate for use of Page 1 at my blog:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope

wherein the front and rear roll center heights and roll stiffness distribution can be measured directly with little more than a set of wheel scales.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Wow! Sure is simple by comparison. I'll pass it on to Warrren. He's been really sick and unable to work, but maybe this will keep him amused until he (hopefully) recovers..