Solid Mounts or Not?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Racer Roy

Solid Mounts or Not?

Post by Racer Roy »

Hey all:
I found these new mounts the other day, and thought they were pretty neat. http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=772

What are your thoughts about using these in a street stock, in place of Energy urethane mounts? It seems to be a good way to add some rigidity to the front of the frame where we can't add any tubing(like a front hoop)
With a stock frame car, would it be wise to retain the Energy trans mount (TH350) to allow some flex absorption?
I welcome all suggestions.

RR
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Racer Roy, they look like a very nice alterative and certainly should strengthen that front crossmember, I would use them with no fears, on that rear mount, I think that urathane rear would give the trans case some flexibility so it doesn't crack, but my experiance only comes from using powerglides on a 1/2 mile good clay track with bite.
Racer Roy

Post by Racer Roy »

Thanks for the input. We race on a 1/4 mile paved.
I was hoping solid mounts would make the application of power a little more immediate, giving some advantage on our short straights. We never seemed to have wheelspin, so I am hoping I can gain some acceleration off the corners.

Take care

RR
TORQUE INC
Pro
Pro

trans mount

Post by TORQUE INC »

Never use a solid mount on an automatic transmission

Learned that one the hard way altho it now makes a good mock up transmission because it is very light.

TI
TORQUE RULES !!!!
Racer Roy

Post by Racer Roy »

The energy urethane mount should provide enough flex, yes?
Thanks and merry Christmas

RR
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

I always use rubber mounts. Most engines anchor the mounts to the relatively flexible outer water jackets, but the way I look at it, it's silly to put money into precision machining of the block if you're going to start feeding chassis loads through it. And yes, I know Formula 1 cars do it, and they have special blocks designed for it, and I still say it's a bad idea.

As far as rear mounts... I've seen several broken transmission tail housings. The chassis can move around a lot under load, and the aluminum tailhousing takes torque loads it was never intended for.