IC Location with adjustable 4link

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BillyShope
Pro
Pro

IC Location with adjustable 4link

Post by BillyShope »

I've added Page 25 to my blog, which includes a spreadsheet for location of the instant center with an adjustable 4link and percent anti-squat:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Mr. Billy,
Excuse my ignorance again, but I am not fully sure that I am understanding the terminology of measurements you are using in your spread sheet.

Let me again thank you for doing the things that you do to try to be helpful to the many who can benefit from your knowledge and efforts. Just because you and I do not always see eye to eye does not diminish the respect and appreciation I hold of you.

Ok I tried to copy these as you wrote them. I hope they post the same way here.

Upper Link Location:
dist. forward to rear =
vert. dist. to rear =
horiz. dist. to front =
vert. dist. to front =

Bottom Link Location:
dist. forward to rear =
vert. dist. to rear =
horiz. dist. to front =
vert. dist. to front =

Looks like they did.:)

dist. forward to rear =
Does this mean the bolt center to bolt center length of the bar? Or maybe the front bolt center to center of housing at a verticle plane?

vert. dist. to rear =
Does this mean the verticle distance from ground level to bolt center in the rear of the top bar?

horiz. dist. to front =
Maybe this one is the bar length of top bar from front to rear at bolt center?

vert. dist. to front =
I am guessing that this is from Bolt center of front top bar position to the ground?

Sir, I am not disagreeing with your spread sheet. I am sure it is a good work. I am only trying to understand your terminology so I might try it out with some known cars just to see hat it might show me.

Ed
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

Ed, the paragraph preceding the spreadsheet explains that the origin is the rear tire patch. Perhaps I should have included the paragraph below the spreadsheet banner. (In fact, I think I'll go change it right now.) This is the second or third indication I've received that users occasionally skip everything before the spreadsheet.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

Maybe you could provide some simple "stick" picture termed "upper link A", "Lower link B" because I'm also slightly confused as indicated by the PM I sent earlier. I know you tried to explain but I guess I just need a picture to fully understand what each measurement is.

I do find this particularly interesting. in the next month I plan on doing some "redesign" to the rear suspension on a mustang and this could prover very useful...if I can figure out what is what.

-Thanks
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

Yes, I see now that I was inconsistent in the descriptions of the needed measurements. "dist. forward to rear" has been changed to "horiz. dist. to rear," to make it consistent with the rest.

The idea is to capture the pivot locations relative to the rear tire patch. So, "horiz. dist. to..." refers to a measurement, along the shop floor, from the center of the tire patch (i.e., from a point directly below the axle centerline) forward to the link pivot and "vert. dist. to..." refers to a measurement up from the shop floor.

Sorry about the confusion.
devilbrad

Post by devilbrad »

With a little thought, I understand it. I think the problem is that the wording isnt in common laymens or industry terms. Maybe a footnote that says "Horizontal measurements as measured from axle centerline to heim joints". "Vertical measurements as measured from shop floor to heim joints" I think that would definitely clear things up.
Just a sponge, soaking up info.
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

A very helpful suggestion was made in another forum. It was pointed out that it's a whole lot easier to measure the length of a link than it is to measure horizontally to a point directly below the front pivot.

So, I've changed the input accordingly. A horizontal measurement is still required for the rear pivots, but that's comparatively easy.