single side bar, or removable "X" brace for roll c

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

single welded bar, bolt in "X" bar, or welded "T" bar (half "X")

single welded bar
100%
bolt in "X" bar
No votes
welded "T" bar (half "X")
No votes

Total votes: 1

dizuster
single side bar, or removable "X" brace for roll c

Post by dizuster »

Hey guys,
I'm working on getting my cage in right now, and I was wondering your opinions?

This car will see quite a bit of street duty, so I hate to put a solid "X" bracing by both doors for the side bars. I'd rather put a single bar there, to ease getting in and out of the car.

But what do you guys think of putting in a removable "X" brace in the door. Similiar to a swing out single bar, but with an "X" instead. I could remove it completely for street driving, or I could simply bolt it back in for the race track. In my opinion I don't think the bolted bar is as strong as welded bar. But since I won't put a welded "X" in the car. . .

This car is honestly probably only going to be a 10.50 car or so, but I'd like to plan ahead, rather then add bars later.

Before everybody gets all crazy and says "you can never comprimise safety", I'm not trying to get around the NHRA rules or anything, I'm trying to figure out what bars I should put in above and beyond NHRA minimum for the 8.50 cert. NHRA will cert a single swing out bar for 8.50, so I'm sure the single welded bar, or my bolt in "X" idea would be above and beyond NHRA minimum. I've decided to put the much debated rocker bar in, and that's why I'm specifically asking about the door bars.

On a side impact would you rather be hit with a single welded side bar, or a "X" brace bolted in with double shear at all 4 attachment points? NHRA says you only need a single side bar, but my gut feeling is that an "X" brace bolted in would be better in that kind of impact.

My other option is to put a Single weld in bar, with an additional bar making it a "T" bar. (extra bar would be from the middle of the side bar, back to the bottom of the main hoop. It would add extra ridgidity on side impact, but not interfere with getting in and out of the car.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

For a full bodied car consult Pgs. 220-223, 2007 NHRA rulebook. You may not want to hear this- a roll cage is meant for a race track and can be dangerous on the street!
dizuster
Post by dizuster »

Agreed, on the street you have the likely hood of hitting your head on the halo bar with no helmet. But for a car faster then 11.00 you don't have much choice. Aftermarket parts make too easy for a sub 11.00 mild street/strip car.