How to improve 60ft and 330 times

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Re: How to improve 60ft and 330 times

Post by AMXstocker1 »

We have a grid controller on our 7al2 and it has functions to pull timing over time.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Good...when you have that all figured out call me!
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

Lol i will.
JohnsnsFord2@aol.com

Post by JohnsnsFord2@aol.com »

Jeff,

are you close to coming out with your SS/H car? hope all is well over on your side of the country
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Came and gone again! Halloween took it to Tucson (altitude track). Forgot to air down the slicks and slipped and slide in all 4 gears with RPM limiter set at 7200 to a 10.87. New race battery was defective also. Next pass an aborted 14 second pass. Checked my Clear View Filter (get one!) and it looked like a sandbox.
My bad on external oil line routing and using long length of hose that collapsed somewhat. Autopsy: lack of oil.
Block is at a shop for hone and final bore diameter so I can order new pistons, rings, bearings. Crank OK, one blued rod which I have already replaced. Had I not had that filter, I would have made one more pass as I had 60# oil pressure. Surely I would have broke the engine.
We are on a RUSH to get back together. Gibtech Pistons are 3 weeks (so they say).
Back to the OP....
NHRA SS/G
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

I think the problem lies in your converter... if the car isn't spinning you should be in the 1.40 range..
I have been through this before... I chased my tail thinking it was suspension, engine problems... but when I swapped the converter the difference was night and day!

Andy
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

oh yeah one more thing... My converter was a TCI as well.. went to PTC and never looked back!
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

i'm considering sending this converter to ultimate after we get the new engine dynoed. were still a couple months away from that i might call ptc and see what they think.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Any up dates on changes
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Not that I really pay attention to auto trans race parts, but I have heard more than a few saying they have been really happy with PTC for convertors.
So how is this project moving along?
NHRA SS/G
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

Our engine is taking its sweet time lol. adkins took a little longer with the heads than expected but that wasn't a huge deal, but then the dome on the new diamond pistons where interfering with the head pretty bad so those went back to diamond and got reprofiled and came back and still hit not as bad and in a different place. but we were able to clearance the chamber to accommodate and had the engine rebalanced then we got the wrong oil rings 3 times from total seal, its been an adventure. but the shortblock is finally together to stay. apparently indy has changed there chamber design and adkins angle milled the .125 off the heads i think these 2 thing caused our piston situation. but now it seems to be on the downhill slop assemble heads order pushrods that type of thing we made. we've made more changes to the car we tossed the pacer front disk and mopar drums in the back in favor of aerospace disc all the way around that was good for 70lbs of weight reduction and we noticed we had bent another 83/4 so now we have one thats very well braced we also noticed the rear axle was about an 1/8th inch out of square and now thats fixed. we have been to the track with my 9.5 to 1 flat tappet street motor in the car and it went 6.75 in the 1/8th with a 1.43 60ft so with quite a bit less power than the previous motor and with the changes we made it 60fted roughly the same and was .15 off in the 1/8th in my opinion if we this new motor makes 60-100 more hp than my little pump gas motor and we can hook it up it should be fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

That’s some serious girdle there...and then 3 more on the wall! Are you going sprint car racing and you need a season of engines? What oil pan are you using to fit on that?
I was just at a guys shop last week and he runs a F/SA Camaro. His brother-in-law is a former NASCAR, F1 and whatever else chassis engineer. Basically, he worked on the Camaro and picked it up some 3 tenths and never touched the engine. Rear end not true, bearings to tight, different alignment, control arms...you name it, other than the engine he touched it. I think now, you can see the possibilities. It’s just a little here and there that ads up.
I had everything machined then decided to have a cam tunnel built. That should be done this week, maybe as late as next week.
Car went to chassis shop two days ago to get the new oil pan to fit in the car.
So it’s coming along. Slowly. Glad to see I’m not the only one!
NHRA SS/G
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

The pan is custom built locally the other 3 girdles arent ours were not allowed 4 bolt caps or hardblock in this seres so the girdle is an attempt to sure up the bottem end. And i agree theres alot et in a car that moves easily