Chev K1500 brake upgrade

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Chev K1500 brake upgrade

Post by dfarr67 »

Hi guys, I have all the parts to go from a 1989 K1500 to 2003 Suburban brake upgrade- mine currently is a mongrel of 2500 front calipers and rear disc with S10 calipers and a driveline ebrake. Works OK but the parts don't always conform perfectly (pads don't quite match rotor od, ebrake only works OK). What's holding up the show for me is a conversion fitting on the front flex line to hardline- you will need a brass fitting to adapt your 3/16 steel lines to the hoses that are designed for 1/4 steel lines

I would rather have these adapters in hand- looking for a link or part number from a knowledgable member- I don't know if there was a split in spec fron 88-98.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/nbs-front ... cks.17805/

Thanks, Dave
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Chev K1500 brake upgrade

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I believe this is what you're looking for if you haven't found it already.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... qkQAvD_BwE

JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Thanks
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Awesome. I may have to do this to my old reliable Tahoe. The brakes on those year GM trucks were poor. I hear changing the master cylinder is also a big help. Working at the -blank- proving grounds as a vehicle tester and specializing in brake testing I have wanted to do something about my truck, but did not like the idea of straying too far from factory stuff. This is a perfect option as it is all factory.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Poor.....mine were beyond poor.

I swapped out the front calipers to the 2500 units and did the rear conversion to S10 calipers with light duty rotors. Although they do work well with Hawk HPS pads, you lose the e-brake which cost me $$ to make a drive line e-brake- which doesn't work that well.

What I find is the interface between different application parts don't really play well- example, occasionally I need to grind on the pads as they are a little offset from the rotors and a ridge develops that squeals.

The aftermarket brakes available are $$$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAKE-LINE-ADAP ... 1438.l2649
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Pad compounds can really make a big difference. From having the opportunity to do testing on aftermarket pads I have a short list of pads that I recommend to people that I would/do use. For many reasons I like the idea of keeping the rear drums that I have now. Many rear disk setups don't do as much as I like and their integrated PKB are REALLY lacking. The drum in hat PKB work well enough, but the old drums work dang well.

I look forward to doing the swap and being able to have factory style parts on it. That way I can find any part I need over the counter at my local auto part store.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins