Rear Suspension

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

dragula

Rear Suspension

Post by dragula »

A freind of mine is going to be converting a CRX to RWD. The car will see mild street/highway use. Plenty of track visits. Car will be about 700hp and 2000lbs.

Just wondering, if you had a clean slate, what you might do for the suspension?

Thanks
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

If it was mine. I would lean to a 4 link with a bit tougher and more flexable panhard bar or J bar for lateral control. Some of the laderal controls can take a beating on uneven surfaces you find on the streets. This would still preform well on the Drag strip.
Older I get the less I know for sure
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

If the car is going to see a drag strip once in awhile, I agree with Budstr. Use a 4-link in the rear. And be aware that it takes some stout hardware to harness 700 HP, particularly when you drop the hammer on a drag strip. To keep reliability up on both street and track, he'll also have to open his pocketbook pretty wide for a good rear-end that'll take the abuse of that much HP and the torque that likely goes with it. Although the lightness of the car would help some in the reliability department.

Dave
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

Unless you're careful to keep each link pair parallel, I'd stay away from the 4link for the street. It binds while cornering if the upper link, in each link pair, is not parallel to the bottom link. You might consider a 4BAR instead of a 4link.

Most all 4link kit suppliers advise that the links be adjusted to parallel while the car is on the street. But, why go through all that monkey business when a 3link can provide equal rear tire loading on launch with no binding problems on the street? See Page 6 of my blog:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope