Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Poor prep and Radials

Post by 6.50camaro »

Steve,
I will share all that I can remember, misplaced the file folder with all my paper notes and print off info .1800 mile move 2 years ago and I haven't seen the box with my build notes and parts catalogues since. That is if 3window does not mind I don't want to hijack his thread anymore than I might have already .Dan
3window

Post by 3window »

Guys, thanks for all the info. Extremely helpful. I have sliders on my Nova. Big change and my shackles were pretty loose. Let me put it this way, shocks full soft (compression and rebound) and sliders bounces as easy as the shackles with no shocks. Just be sure to leave 2/3-3/4 of the travel to the front for separation. You dont want to bottom out the slider on extension. Well worth it and don’t overthink the mounting, just make sure they’re square to the spring. Here’s a shot of mine. Youll see what I mean.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

They look pretty much just like the ones I have. It looks like they are mounted flat on the bottom of the frame rail. I notched the frame rail about 3/4 to 1" so the rear of the slider is set up into the frame rail and the slot for the bolt is angled down in the front a few degrees . This was as per the information off of AFCO' s instructions. You actually use a straight edge or pull a string from the front mount bolt hole of the spring so the slot in the slider is straight in line with that angle . I made sure there was a 1/4 to 1/2" of travel forward left when the car was jacked up and shocks were at full extension and rear tire off the ground. Dan
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Thanks guys for making the effort much appreciated,
Definitely something to seriously look at in the future, I got a good friend who will be able to make them, should be fun
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

thanks shoodoos,
i actually done some pricing and research after my last post and they are reasonably priced,i was talking to a guy on saturday night at the track,he has a one tonner with sliders and i was having a good look,he is running a BBC,turbo 400 with transbrake and 295 radial,i raced him in the 3rd qualifier and his car leave pretty good
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
3window

Post by 3window »

Update; I’ve done some testing with the Vbox and I’m making progress. Front shocks are 4 from full tight on compression and 5 from full loose on rebound. Rears are 5 from full tight on rebound and 4 from full loose on compression. So basically all the weight transfers back and stays there. Tires are at 15 psi and Caltracs are on the top hole. Crossbar is just touching on both sides, no preload. Vbox shows 2.0 sixty foot and .79 Gs acceleration through first gear. I’m still fighting a spinning issue around 4500 to the shift point (6500), but it’s not blowing the tires off anymore. It’s right when the converter grabs and boost starts to come in. Next test I’ll loosen the rear extension 3-4 clicks and see if it’ll hold the tire better. Again, this is stopping and footbraking it at roughly 3,100 rpms, leaving on no boost at all, using the less desirable Nitto drag radials and no burnout. I think I’m making progress. I’ll keep you posted.