Launch vidio

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

sc68z28

Post by sc68z28 »

John Wallace wrote:Your rear springs aren't floating at the rear end? :shock:
When it had leafs, I used Slide-a-links.

Now it has ladderbars with coil overs, no leafs

---Bill.
68 Camaro, Procharged 380ci, FAST EFI, GF5r trans, Advanced Clutches 7" two disc,
Best 60' 1.28 vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w
CSH

Post by CSH »

Hi Bill,
I have 4 leafs and no rubber pads. I would estimate the spring rate to be only about 140lbs I think I would need about the 200lb but not 100% sure. I think the spring has bent in the right rear because of the low spring rate. What spring rate do you think is needed.
I can only watch your video in 2 sec intervals for some reason,hope I can sort that out, but do have a white line on your wheel so if slow down the video you can see when it begins to break traction?

Hi John,
Not sure what you class as floating. Can you explain. I don't want to sound like a dum arse but don't want to overlook anything either. I suspect you mean flexing and or distorting.

I was wondering if 5700 convertor took to much torque out of the lunch as peak torque is 514@5250 but would like your opinions on that as well. Shift points were at 7000.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice.--Craig
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

The floater/slider lets the rear spring pivot without binding when using a ladder bar and leaf springs.

Leaf Slider
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
CSH

Post by CSH »

John Wallace wrote:The floater/slider lets the rear spring pivot without binding when using a ladder bar and leaf springs.

Leaf Slider
John,
I don't run ladder bars in my car just caltracs on leafs with rancho shocks.

Speedy,
Your car looks nice leaving the line. It looks like you must have made a anti roll bar for the rear end, would that be right? What is the rest of your set up if you don't mind posting it.

Bill,
Do you have pictures of your set up with bent springs and slidealink or where did they bend,what do you think gave in first?

Craig
sc68z28

Post by sc68z28 »

CSH wrote: Bill,
Do you have pictures of your set up with bent springs and slidealink or where did they bend,what do you think gave in first?

Craig
My leafs bent up front, where the slide-a-link clamps on.
I think the Cal tracks split-mono is a much thicker spring all the way accross it and would be tough to bend anywhere. and he would know what spring rate should work well.

You can see the bent spring, slide-a-link, and shock tap too.

---Bill.
68 Camaro, Procharged 380ci, FAST EFI, GF5r trans, Advanced Clutches 7" two disc,
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

CSH wrote:
just wondering what tyre presures on a 28 x 10.5 MT ET Drag on a 3600lb
car would you guys run. I have seen a lot of rims nearly hit the ground
with 10psi...
Lately I have been running 10.5 x 29.5 MT ET drag bias ply slicks on my
67 Camaro with 9 3/4 PSI. Sixty foot times in the mid 1.4s.

In contrast Wag runs 9.0 x 30 radial slicks with pressure in the upper
teens, sixty foots times in the low 1.3s. As Ed Wright mentioned earlier
the radials are worth about .2 sec in the 1/4. The pictures show a much
stiffer sidewall with the higher pressure.

longrodsbc

Post by longrodsbc »

My Nova Launches the same way, look identical, I have the Stock Multi leafs with a Helper spring! lol... I have big block springs (cut) with Lake Wood 90/10's the rear is to stiff, I suspect your is as well. Nice car by the way!

longrodsbc
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

Two Questions.

1) Why don't you want the car to dead hook? Only thing I can think of is breaking parts...is that why?

2) What happens to slicks sitting on a concrete garage floor? I know they dry rot if left in the sun outside but wasn't aware that they need to be kept off the garage floor.
sc68z28

Post by sc68z28 »

Tod74 wrote:Two Questions.

1) Why don't you want the car to dead hook?
Good question, my car is now pretty much dead hooking, thanks to Rob @ http://www.advancedclutches.com/ I got one of his adjustable 7" two disc clutches. Works great, I'm still tuning on it and will be adding power with the blower this year.
Here is a vid from last Nov. 07, with a 1.38 60 foot :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUUGXBybYZw

Ed, will be happy to see, I am no longer limiting wheel speed in the burn-out box, I think that burn out was a lil over done :oops:

With the new clutch, I have the two step up from 4200 rpm to 6K. Might even try leaving at 6300 next time out.

These pics are from July 07, I still had the old wheel and tire combo.
Anyone care to comment on the amount of side-wall wrinkle in the slicks?

Thanks to all for the help.
---Bill.