Blocked off grill w/ flat hood

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

beth wrote:A cold engine does lose more heat to the chambers and water, but the increase in VE more than makes up for this small loss.

beth
Thank you.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

Was always my understanding the cooling system on a top fuel or funny car was the fuel and the oiling system. Your talking a different engine than a N/A on gas. The Nitro don't evaporate as fast till it gets warm, then you can add more nitro wich makes more heat so you can add more nitro, wich makes more heat so you can add more nitro. Till you get a saturation point. what also aides this is high boost and the fact that nitro has some of it's own oxygen.
Older I get the less I know for sure
trikesrule

Post by trikesrule »

Did someone mention 2-strokes? Yeah did a lot of temperature Vs hp drop / increase a few years back. These were 500cc on methanol (circle track) and yes they are extremely temperature sensitive. Once they go above 65 power starts declining and when it goes over 73 there are huge gobs of power going out the exhaust. Keep them too cold and they never get going. We ran a 500cc Krauser at the 92 Formula 500cc Australian Titles. Real hot weekend and engine ran 90 but because it was steady and one of those engines puts out 202hp+ at the rear wheels (at 87-92 degrees) we ran all the heats successfully. Qualified on pole. During the Heats a friend rolled out of the event. So we borrowed his slightly larger double pass radiator (ours was single pass). Warmed engine prior to Feature Race. During Feature the temp went down so cold (to less than 20 degrees). Subsequently it fouled the plugs and didn't make to the finish. Lesson learn't there.........trikes