true trac

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

dednik

true trac

Post by dednik »

Hi everybody,I'm new here and I find a lot of info in this forum. I have a 72 mustang with a stroked cleveland engine and i need some advice on true trac rear end.Anybody use it on drag racing? :?:
DED
mudracer

Post by mudracer »

Try here:

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

good info. Check Google sometimes, its been a savior.
Duane

http://sutherlinbbfest.org/
LS14gezr

Post by LS14gezr »

I know it's been a long time since this thread was originally posted but the True-Trac is a sore point for me. I have a Moser 9" w/4.11's and T-56 in my 2001 Z28. The rear is first thing I changed when I decided to go racing. The sales pitch on the True- Trac convinced me to purchase it. With 473 rwhp it wasn't long before it grenaded. Naturally it broke in the first round time trials on Saturday of a Saturday/Sunday points weekend.So I could never make up those points the rest of the year. After some "negotiations" with Eaton they made good and I bought a Detroit Locker, which is everything you may have heard about them. Clunky,etc. The 9" is a great rear but there is not enough room in the 9" housing due to the pinion gear location for a substantial differential. With a spool it will stand up to obscene HP but you can't drive a spool on the street. Also, the photos on Eaton's website is not the unit for the 9" but for the Ford 8.8 or GM 12 bolt style which looks very impressive. Bottom line: if I had to do it over again I would not purchase a 9" for street/strip use but at minimum a 12 bolt with upgrades or Strange 60 with PowerLock differential. Also, check out "Tom's Differentials" website for his opinion on the True-Trac.