S10 traction, where to start?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BrianEsser

S10 traction, where to start?

Post by BrianEsser »

Hi I have a 1996 Chevrolet S10 standard cab short bed pickup. It's been lowered 5"/7" (was lowered when I purchased it). It is now powered by a LT1 backed by a TH350 with a 3500 stall. It still has the stock 7.5" 10 bolt at the moment.

My question is what can I do to help this thing hook? I haven't driven it as the injection system (Megasquirt/EDIS8 setup) is still being finished. But, I can see traction will be all but non-existent. It has been lowered in the rear with a combination of lowering leafs and drop blocks. So I don't think there is room for cal-tracs or even slapper bars. Is lifting it back up my only choice? Also, does having it lower have a negative effect on traction? The truck will mostly be a weekend/strip toy, may go to full strip toy down the road. Thanks!
Txshane
Post by Txshane »

A friend of many years has been building s10's for a long time. They were all weekend play things. Keeping the truck low will hurt you if you decide to play at the track. You will have very little weight transfer being that low. If the truck can't squat there will be a lot of wasted energy lost. If you are going to stay mostly on the street with the sudden urge to give'er a gallon....leave it low and buy M/T street drags. After about an hour of drive time those tires hook hard. That 10 bolt will hold up pretty well as long as you are not launching it at some outrageous RPM with 20" slicks. A good carrier and some moser axles will hold up nice. [/quote]