Help! No Brakeees!!!!

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

MDH06

Help! No Brakeees!!!!

Post by MDH06 »

Hello. I have street stock race car with dual master cylinders....I parked it in my backyard and everyghing worked fine... Wen't be out to load it up on my trailer but the brake pedal is rock solid..... Won't budge but a little bit and that little bit isnt enough to even begin to slow the car down...Any ideas???
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

moisture?

for how long was it parked in the backyard?
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
MDH06

Post by MDH06 »

miniv8 wrote:moisture?

for how long was it parked in the backyard?
not to long... 3 wks at the most.. but it did rain quite abit
trikesrule

Post by trikesrule »

Somethings siezed up. Get those wheels off and start looking. Have u got drums at the rear? If so I'd start there. We used to have heaps of probs with drum type brakes. Occasionally going backwards off the trailer and a lump of clay will combine to jam everything up or dislodge the the spreader bar at the top. The wear rate on drum brakes / internals is high. At the end of the season change over to discs. The worst thing that happens with them is clay jamed between the caliper /wheel and clay in the caliper / pad area. Easily fixed..........trikes
MDH06

Post by MDH06 »

I bleed the brakes and they now work again! :) I guess it was moisture from sitting on wet grass...... Yeah unfortunately they are rear drum, trikes :)
So now i've got that back working... The oil pan gasket has decided to start leaking.... and a few of the bolts for it are hidden behind the starter and tucked away above the frame..-sigh- What gives?
trikesrule

Post by trikesrule »

Glad you fixed your brakes. This team I'm with when I first joined up with them they had brakes set up like yours and it was a regular thing for the driver to use the wall or another competitor to slow himself down under yellows - the other guys didn't lke that much - ha. We run discs alround now and they are heaps better. Anyway your pan gasket is probably cork yes? It's common for them to weep after a while if they are put on dry. Wipe away the drips and try to tighten them a little. You may have to remove the starter to get at them all. Remeber not too tight or u will crush the gasket totally. Make sure u clean the joints up with a petrolly rag followed by a thinners in a rag to remove the petrol. Grab some silicone and smear that over the joint. Sounds rugged but it works in the real world. To get a smooth surface on the silicone spit on your finger. The saliva stops silicone from sticking to your finger and making a huge mess. What can't get enough spit? Think of the aroma of a BBQ. That'll get the ol drool going. At the seasons end lift the engine out and clean surfaces well, paint one side of a new gasket with Permatex #4 (not silicone) install paint the other side and torque those bolts down to recommended torque. U need a hardening gasket cement. One that stays soft in that gasket area is no good........trikes