Bending Struts

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

trikesrule

Bending Struts

Post by trikesrule »

The Speedway team I'm with has just purchased a 2nd hand 80 Corolla for the owners daughter to race. This is a strictly controlled class. Basicly if it ain't stock it's illegal. But we are allowed to modify a std strut to achive some camber on the right front. Now this car has a very nicely bent strut. It dosen't bind at all (unloaded). And the strut is not cruched at all. So - how did that person bend that so successfully? I have to duplicate this strut as these kids that drive these Corollas regularly slap the wall. So I need spares. Now before you make a heap of other suggestions / alterations this is the only way we are allowed to put -camber on these cars. A lot of the field don't have these 'bent' struts and yes it makes a heck of a difference. So tell me how please............trikes
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

the answer is very carefully

We do these on old bmw's and 510's as well. A little heat around the base and then there's a colar that slides on to give it a good leverage spot close to the base and then a long bar for leverage. Most you'll get is a couple of degree's out of them but that's usually what you need.
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication