tire tubes in race slicks

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

badss540

Post by badss540 »

Bubstr, is that why Goodyear has had a horrible begining in Top Fuel with the tires, death of Darly Russle, Eric Medlen, if the engineers come up with something that benifits and makes money then fine, but if not the Top Brass overrule and put it into play for the money only and disregard saftey. Put Tubes in thats all i'm going to say
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

Bad, You'll have to admit that Eric Medlens problem was on the extreme edge. Tire shake of that magnitude probably couldn't be helped by a tube.

What I'm trying to say is, that some people know a lot more about a particular thing than I do, and sometimes I choose to pick one I trust and listen.

If I go to a Doctor for heart medication, I don't tell him what I want. He knows more than I do. Sure there are Quacks, that's why it's good to get a basic education before you choose a Dr.

I don't keep up with it. Did they change the tire since Eric's death? I know some teams changed the drivers area to insulate them more.
Older I get the less I know for sure
DADNOVA
Post by DADNOVA »

Put real rubber tubes in ( not the cheap one's) with alot of baby powder. The guy next to you probably weighs 50 lbs more then you. One blow out without them and how much will that cost you$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Were talking a couple of pounds at best, if 50K a race was on the line leave them out, but for the weekend drag racer leave them in.
Loose some weight in a safer place.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

DADNOVA wrote:Put real rubber tubes in ( not the cheap one's) with alot of baby powder. The guy next to you probably weighs 50 lbs more then you. One blow out without them and how much will that cost you$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Were talking a couple of pounds at best, if 50K a race was on the line leave them out, but for the weekend drag racer leave them in.
Loose some weight in a safer place.
Not talking weight! How many tubes went flat? The tires don't say not to run them but everyone I know don't run them! I am talking 6 sec cars? STILL AMAZES ME! :D
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Tubes

Post by jmarkaudio »

I have always run tubes until my current car, it came without. I have never had a tube go out as long as I replace them when I get new slicks. While they will slow the car slightly, you can set the pressure at the beginning of the day and not have to check them from run to run. I have been told by our resident tire guru here to wipe the inside down with dish soap if you do not run tubes and let it dry. They will leak a lot less.

Mark Whitener
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Update!!!!! Tubeless tires at 7 lbs@ 45 degrees! Haven't put air in them since 06/05 !!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

you must be lucky then, 3 days max an car sits on the rims!

Car came with tubeless Goodyears which I hated as they never wanted to hook on my unprepped tracks, now with good old trusted supersoft Hoosiers I will put tubes back in. I had one tire blow and the tube saved my butt, I do believe in them and rather go on a diet to loose some weight. Hell, I have a 100 lbs of ballast in the car......
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

coolchevy wrote:you must be lucky then, 3 days max an car sits on the rims!

Car came with tubeless Goodyears which I hated as they never wanted to hook on my unprepped tracks, now with good old trusted supersoft Hoosiers I will put tubes back in. I had one tire blow and the tube saved my butt, I do believe in them and rather go on a diet to loose some weight. Hell, I have a 100 lbs of ballast in the car......

Could you clarify this for me? I'm lost at seeing a way that a tire and tube blew and it was safer than just a tire. I can only see more unbalanced weight slinging around and around.

I wouldn't suggest using or not using tubes and / or screws. That like everything else is a mater of preference. Much like, How fast do you want to go?, How Much to spend on a Helmet?. Do you want a bargain bin seat or custom built aluminum?

I would think it prudent to look into bead locks if your in that high of a torque to weight ratio to need screws. Also a slow leak, as someone said earlier, dish soap does wonders for this, should be a non issue. I'm going to check pressure before I take a ride in something that could kill me. As far as weight goes. It's not a matter of total weight, it's a matter of turning weight. If you add a little balance problem, it could turn into tire shake, or with tubes, a big tire shake.
Older I get the less I know for sure
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

surely,

during a run, possibly right at launch, the right tire developed a split in the outer sidewall about 6 inches long, the rubber just broke for whatever reason. The tube inside still held the air and I could finish my run, did not even notice it !

Without a tube I would have instantly lost all air and probably steered right into the fence.

I have my slicks secured with screws of course and of course I check tire pressure before every run, not doing that would be foolish especially on the unprepped tracks I am racing on. The name of the game is fighting for every little bit of traction as we go 8.30's on normal airfields, no VHT, no glue no trackbite..........

I tried everything to get rid of the leaks on those Goodyears, dishsoap, liquid detergents, special coatings. 3 days max and the air was out.