Proper window net mounting

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Steve Smith
Pro
Pro

Proper window net mounting

Post by Steve Smith »

can anybody tell me or point to a proper illustration of window net installation? I've got lots of ways to do it but I'd like to know how the pros do it so I don't have to learn the hard way. Thanx.
Steve Smith
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Smith »

Hey!! Anybody got a window net in their racer? Or is this a drag race forum only. :oops:
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Steve,
Anything that fits in the rules is considered to be proper mounting. In the early 1980's I begain to use automotive seat belt buckles. Now I see this method used a lot. That is a quick way to fasten the net down and is quick to release it too.

I have also seen something looking like a dog chain hook used. Not sure if that is legal, but I am guessing it is.

I would feel that one side of it, (The top) does need to be mounted so that side or end is fullly supported and the belt locks or whatever is to be able to enter and to exit.l

Ed
Metrobilly

Post by Metrobilly »

Use a latch not a seat belt buckle. I had a window net with a seatbelt buckle come loose on me on upon impact. M&R sells a mounting kit along with several sizes of nets.

Make it drop down and fall out of the way when released for a quick exit.

Make the mounting strong than you think you could ever need. I mount mine to the cage, not the body.

Charlie
Shaffy
Post by Shaffy »

Also, make sure you mount it on the inside of the rollcage tubing as well..

if you ever happen to get on your lid, and if/when the cage contacts earth, it wont grind or rip off the net mounting, and hopefully you walk away with all your god givin limbs.. :wink:
Steve Smith
Pro
Pro

Thanx!

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank You guys, those are some good tips. Learning everything the hard way gets expensive in the end. Thank You...
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Still pertaining to the question sorta.

Always use as much safety equipment as you can in your car and on you.

Frequently I hear this;
My car is not fast enough for me to need that.
O'Really!
Look at the car and the people damage in regular cars at normal highways speeds, and tell me your car isn't that fast.

At a track in S.Texas recently a 13 second car crashed. The owner had a roll bar installed in it but his friends made fun of him for his roll bar in such a slow car. He had a top end crash through no fault of his and the car was torn up. His roll bar saved his life but having only a regular seat belt on casued his upper body to get beat up pretty bad n the wreck. He is badly hurt but he is alive only becuase of a roll bar in his slow car. If he had a full shoulder harness on too chances are he would be in much better shape now. He did have a safety helmet on.

Use all the safety above the minimum required you can afford.

Ed
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

You can't stress safety enough. Besides keeping you in the car you want to keep things out side out. Picture yourself landing on your roof and the next car puts a wheel in your window. This has happened and the guy didn't fare too well. Get the best you can and fasten it to the cage with a lot more than you ever thought you needed.
Older I get the less I know for sure