Any 4x4 truck pullers on here?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

358T
Pro
Pro

Any 4x4 truck pullers on here?

Post by 358T »

My brother and his buddy are into a Stock and/or super stock 4x4 truck. It's basically a street truck with modifications done for pulling. It has a sbc and a th400 trans. Engine should make around 550-600hp at 6800-7000 with peak torque occuring around 5200-5400.

What kind of torque converter stall works best in this application? If it were drag racing I'd pick around 5600rpm.

Also, what kind of tire speed (gear, tire) setup works?

Thanks,

Scott
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

You do want the stall to be very slightly higher than peak torque. You also want a pulling converter, not a drag racing converter. I suggest an ATI blown fuel/pull converter.

I used to use 4.88 or 5.14 gears. The reason is if you try to use the transmission or the transfer case to get all of your over all gear ratio, you force the load back into the drive shafts and the transfer case. If you use the gears in the axles to get MOST of your over all gear, most of the load is out at the axles.

A truck without a lot of power needs a lot of tire speed, you can't really hook it up and load it. I'd probably shoot for around 75MPH or so. But it depends on the rules, and the track. Most small block powered trucks fall into this category.
shomethemoney
Post by shomethemoney »

If you want to gain a hundred horse, loose the automatic! For the price of a good pulling converter, you could get a nice single disc pulling clutch setup. Well, it'll seem like a hundred horse!