Leaf Spring Question

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Novaz

Leaf Spring Question

Post by Novaz »

I have a 3 piece leaf set up on the rear and have read that having extra clamps on the springs and traction bars can help do more to cotrol spring wrap up Also read that some people have welded plates along the side of the leafs but would that not damage the temper of the spring :?
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I clamp my front half of the leafs And also add an extra leaf to the stack that runs completely under the front spring eye ,,and move all leafs foreward a few inches to add extra stiffness to the front half...usually ford truck leafs
i run the back half a little softer...no traction bars ..and move the rearend foreward a couple inches if there is room sound a little familliar ..you get it right and the car should gain tire clearance on the launch, both front and rear What kind of car do you have
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

Novaz,
Jr. did almost exactly what Jeff describes, works great with cal tracks

Novaz

Post by Novaz »

its a 72 Nova
blown 383 every one uses caltracs but I wanted to see if 10s are possible with out .
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

Novaz wrote:its a 72 Nova
blown 383 every one uses caltracs but I wanted to see if 10s are possible with out .
I had a 70 Nova with single leafs and bolt on plate type traction bars, it ran 10.40's on 9" tires and footbraking w/10" converter and 9's on NOS. This was more than 15 yrs ago, before cal-tracs were even heard of. Engine was a mild 355 w/AFR 210 heads, VctrJr intake, .630 roller cam etc.

The traction bars had extensions welded on the end to make the snubber meet the front bolt on the spring. Getting the front suspension freed up is important on these cars to allow transfer.

Rick
Novaz

Post by Novaz »

Thanks Rick
I have coilovers on the front with tubular A arms and 225# springs 2" longer than stock.
Royz
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I remember a 72 nova that i bought for 60 bucks and then a skylark 1970 4 door with a 350 buick 2 barrel for $175 the trans was slipping real bad i put the buick in the nova slippin trans and all put in a tach for tuning of course ....The thing (after a fresh tune up and before ) would not idle below 1200 RPM ..The trans was not slipping it had a 3500 stall the thing would shift at 7200 RPM (a sleeper 4 door skylark) I scored some firestone drag 500s 29x12x15 Did some flare work made them fit
Lined up in front of my motherinlaws house stalled it up and launched .Over 3.5 ft of air under the front tires (my first wheelie ) i backed off came crashing down sheered the lower rear shock mounts off......Hope yours arent stock....GETTING TO THE POINT...this was a stock suspension 6 cylinder nova car 275 geared peg leg...no tricks just real light i gutted everything.....10's are very possible with just a few slight tweeks ..experiment with your car ,you dont have to follow every one else.you will learn a lot that way..Have fun :D
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

When you put serious power to a slapper bar set-up the back of the car
wants to rise, longer shocks with adjustable extension helps to get it
under control. Fabian was determined to see 9s with the stock leaf
springs; foot brake 1.3 60ft, 9.90 @ 131