Tire Treatment

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Metrobilly

Tire Treatment

Post by Metrobilly »

I just applied some 'Formula V' tire traction treatment to an old set of road race slicks to try and get one more race out of them. Does anybody have any experience or suggestion on this or similar products?

Charlie
Dynoroom

Post by Dynoroom »

Some people use a diesel fuel mixture on the INSIDE of the tires to make them a bit more sticky. You might try a google search fot what the guys running super modifieds or asphalt sprints/midgets are doing. I've heard it works pretty good.
Michael LeFevers
www.mitechengines.com
Lifetime Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club
Frist Stock Bodied Car to Exceed 300 MPH

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" Enzo Ferrari
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

That Formula V is actually pretty good stuff if you follow directions well.

If I am remembering correct, the inventor's name was/is Tom Vosnik. That is why it is called V. :)

We iused it on old bracket racing tires years ago and it does seem to put some moisture and life back into the old tires.

Ed
2dumb2kwit

Post by 2dumb2kwit »

I don't know if it's any better than what you are using, but I have had very good luck with pro-blend products for circle track racing. www.pro-blend.com If you decide to get some, check with some suppliers that carry it. The prices on their website are VERY high. You can do alot better on price.
Metrobilly

Post by Metrobilly »

I tried out the treated tires last weekend and my impression is that the stuff helped to a degree. The treated tires were not like new but seemed to work a better than before they were treated. Probably worth the effort and expense for someone who can not afford new tires.

Charlie
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I've used it alot I felt it helped about .20 on a 1/2 mile oval.I liked pro blends hot lap II for bang for the buck and easy to use.I didn't put any on new tires,the second week I coated them this is when they were the fastest,the next week coated again they were still ok.Third coating they were getting used up.If you need some soft tires mix in some xylene paint thinner.If you can run soft compounds Track claw help the tire not burn up.
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

will any of these help a set of older slicks that seem to have hardened up with age? I've got a set in the back with plenty of rubber they're just 6 years old.
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication
Metrobilly

Post by Metrobilly »

Yes, Formula V treatment is designed to revive old tires. Driving on them to wear off the oxidized surface rubber also helps. But 6 years is a very long time for race tires. How they are stored makes a huge difference on how they age. I have some old rain tires the are kept sealed in trash bags when not in use and they still have grip. Still smell like tires too. However if tires are stored in the open exposed to ozone, solvent fumes, and sunlight they dry out and die quickly.