New Front Runners (But how Old?)

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

New Front Runners (But how Old?)

Post by 11secAvanti »

Ordered new Goodyear Front Runner tires 25 X 4.5 X15 for my race car this week from a national known catalogue supplier. Had them installed and balanced at a Goodyear dealer. All was ok until the tech pointed out that the side walls have "spider crackings." Crackings appeared on both new tires. I asked for clarification on the cause and he said, "hot and cold storage for some time." I asked for assistance in determining the date of manufacturer but they reported they have no specs or data on Goodyear Race Tires and could not determine the month or year. This from an actual dealer.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I determine the age of these tires? I went with this brand because I believe in quality and safety. Is this normal appearance for a new tire? What actually causes the cracks? I went to the track today and examined several front runners. None of them had cracks and one set was several years old.

The number on the new tires are 5MHZ MBO1 A4R. At another location is the number D2981. Can anyone advise me on the date of manufacture of these tires?

I plan to contact the supplier Monday to discuss this issues and seek redress. Thanks.
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Looks like a phone call to the GoodYear Racing Div is also very much warranted.

Even if the supplier does make them right, they should have never been sold for racing if they are rotted that bad. Tires crack becuase the natural rubber oils dry out of them.

Worse case is if the supplier will not correct them, you still need to contact GoodYear.

If none of them will do anyting it is a good news story about how you were sold old and dangerous racing tires to go on a race car.

Ed
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

Thanks Ed, the supplier has agreed to take them back even though their policy is no return on mounted tires. The cracks could be seen 4 feet away when mounted and inflated. I did speak to a Goodyear Race Tire saleman and he couldn't idenitfy the date from the code but has agreed to supply quality tires with a 10% discount. That's a surprise, that you can't get a date to know if your tires are fresh stock. He agreed that tires age by loosing their oils and dry out. And said you can apply silicone to them (like Armour All) and this offers some protection. He also recommended tires to be deflated when in storage with weight of the car off the tires. Didn't know these tips.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

11secAvanti wrote:Thanks Ed, the supplier has agreed to take them back even though their policy is no return on mounted tires. The cracks could be seen 4 feet away when mounted and inflated. I did speak to a Goodyear Race Tire saleman and he couldn't idenitfy the date from the code but has agreed to supply quality tires with a 10% discount. That's a surprise, that you can't get a date to know if your tires are fresh stock. He agreed that tires age by loosing their oils and dry out. And said you can apply silicone to them (like Armour All) and this offers some protection. He also recommended tires to be deflated when in storage with weight of the car off the tires. Didn't know these tips.
Awesome!!!!

I had 10 year old tires taken care of that never cracked! Goodyears also!
GURU is only a name.
Adam