Can titanium be welded to SS?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

crazyman
Expert
Expert

Can titanium be welded to SS?

Post by crazyman »

I've got some Ti bike mufflers that I need to modify, and I am wondering before I go about ruining them, if they can be successfully welded to stainless or regular steel. If a weld won't stick, I'll just have to clamp them over the tube. Oh, I'm using a gas wire feed MIG welder.
DavidHarsay
Pro
Pro

Post by DavidHarsay »

It can be brazed together... but you need a good mechanically sound fit... if that makes sense.

Dave
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

No, stainless and titanium cannot be welded to each other, especially not with a wire feed welder, with a TIG welder it might be possible to make it actually "stick" together, but it wouldn't be welded. I've never tried to braze them, so I can't say if it'd work.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

Thank you for your replies. I would've probably hacked the pipe off by the canister, then found I couldn't weld it if I hadn't gotten answers, therby junking a $50 set of pipes.

I'm installing stock Yamaha R1 cans in front of each rear tire on a Suzuki Swift GTi. It's basically a detuned car version of a GSX-R twincam 1300, so they should sound incredible.

Again, thank you.
Scott
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

crazyman wrote:Thank you for your replies. I would've probably hacked the pipe off by the canister, then found I couldn't weld it if I hadn't gotten answers, therby junking a $50 set of pipes.

I'm installing stock Yamaha R1 cans in front of each rear tire on a Suzuki Swift GTi. It's basically a detuned car version of a GSX-R twincam 1300, so they should sound incredible.

Again, thank you.
Scott
You made a good choice!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

you can, have to use a tig... and you need to know what grade titanium you have.

i've fixed some titanium pipes using plain steel filler.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

I cut off the curved pieces tonight. I left about 4 inches of pipe out of the mufflers. I tried welding the cutoff just for grins. It didn't weld nice at all. It did stick, but looked like bird poo, and crackled like rice crispies when it was cooling off.

Now with my pipe stubs, I can clamp pipe over it. Again, thanks for saving me headache.

On a side note, this website seems to be a wonderful place to learn new things. Thank you for the environment.
Scott
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

you're titanium requires welding in an inert gas chamber then.