Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Small block C6 identification?

Post by n2xlr8n »

Hi fellas, C6 Q:

My Church had a 86 E350 Clubwagon. When the AOD (E?) went kaput, they had it replaced with a small block (351W) C6.

I want to rebuild the C6, so off I go to the the parts store for a kit and converter. The parts folks say that there is no way to tell between a "late model" C6 and an "early model".

How can I tell what I have? Any ideas?

Thank you very much for the help!

Steve
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

the early c6 before 1975 had a pan depth of 1-1.5" and the later had a depth of 1.75" to 2" depth and the front corners of the newer pan are laid back not straight down the 4x4 pans had 3" depth in the center of the pan and an extention tube on the filter
The filters do look different on stock early and late
The trans tag is a little confusing i beleive P is for through 76 or 77 and K is for 78-86
might be better off with the pan thing
nos-stang
Post by nos-stang »

About the only difference between an early c-6 and a late c-6 is a couple seals,most kits have all of the seals for all c-6's.If you do need a seal or two that is not included with the kit you buy,just go to the local transmission shop and buy the individual seals from them for a couple bucks.There should be a tag on one of the servo cover bolts that will get you close to the year of the transmission.C9=1969,D8=1978,E7=1987,ect.Or just get the kit from a transmission shop in case you need any help during the rebuild.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the help!

Steve
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.